Summer School on Development Policy
Summer School on Development Policy
University of Bonn
Bonn, July 31 to August 11, 2017
The University of Bonn invites graduate and postgraduate students as well as young professionals from any field of study or discipline to a Summer School on Development Policy in Bonn.
The program is organized in cooperation with the German Corporation for International Cooperation / Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH.
The Summer School on Development Policy will take place from July 31 to August 11, 2017.
The program offers:
- classes that cover the main areas of development policy
- guest lectures on selected issues of development policy
- excursions (for example to governmental institutions and development organizations)
The Summer School is open to 30 participants. The program is conducted in English.
The classes and guest lectures will take place on the new Campus Poppelsdorf of the University of Bonn.
The Summer School introduces students to the main areas of development policy and examines important development policy issues. The students will be able to discuss development policy issues with professionals from international organizations, governmental institutions, development organizations, research institutions, and the University of Bonn.
The Summer School aims at providing graduate and postgraduate students as well as young professionals with insight into the field of development policy.
The classes cover the main areas of development policy.
They encompass twelve modules:
- Module 1 Introduction to Development Policy
- Module 2 German Development Policy
- Module 3 European Development Policy
- Module 4 International Development Policy
- Module 5 Introduction to Development Economics
- Module 6 Financing of Development Policy
- Module 7 Development Policy: Environment Protection and Climate Change
- Module 8 Development Policy: Good Governance and Human Rights
- Module 9 Development Policy: Health
- Module 10 Development Policy: Education
- Module 11 Development Policy: Peacekeeping
- Module 12 Development Policy: Food and Nutrition Security
- Module 13 Development Policy: Poverty Reduction
Further information on the modules will be available soon.
In addition to classes, the program offers guest lectures on selected issues of development policy.
Further information on the guest lectures will be available soon.
Furthermore, the program includes various excursions.
Further information on the excursions will be available soon.
Instructors and Guest Lecturers
The instructors and guest lecturers are experts from international organizations, governmental institutions, development organizations, research institutions, and the University of Bonn.
Further information on the instructors and guest lecturers will be available soon.
In order to be eligible to register for the Summer School, you must fulfill the requirements given below:
- You are a graduate or postgraduate student or a young professional from any field of study or discipline.
- You are proficient in English (prior knowledge of German is not a prerequisite).
Applicants who wish to participate in the Summer School must apply by April 7, 2017. The selected participants will be notified within one week after the registration deadline.
Applicants should send us the following documents (written in English):
- signed application form
- résumé / curriculum vitae
- letter of motivation that illustrates why you wish to participate in the Summer School and what you hope to gain from your participation.
Please send the documents
- via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- via mail to: University of Bonn, International Office, Ms. Sandra Scholl, Poppelsdorfer Allee 102, 53115 Bonn, Germany
The participation fee amounts to 750 Euros (including the costs for the excursions). The fee does not include housing or meals.
Please transfer the participation fee to the following account:
Recipient: Universitätskasse Bonn
Bank: Sparkasse KölnBonn, Hahnenstr. 57, 50667 Köln, Germany
Reference: PN 73120012 + participant name
You must state the following reference on the bank transfer form: PN 73120012 + participant name.
Please note that the participation fee is due by May 5, 2017. Participation in the Summer School on Development Policy is only possible after confirmation of payment.
If you cancel before May 19, 2017, we will reimburse the participation fee for a service fee of 50 Euros. Please note that we cannot reimburse the participation fee, if you cancel after May 19, 2017.
The University of Bonn does not anticipate the cancellation of the Summer School. However, if it should become necessary due to world events, gross under enrollment (less than 18 students) or other circumstances to cancel or significantly change the program, all applicants / selected participants will be promptly notified and provided a full reimbursement of the participation fee.
A very limited number of grants will be awarded by the University of Bonn to excellent Summer School applicants. Only students can apply for a grant. The grants will consist of partial or full participation fee exemption. Participants will be still responsible for financing housing and meals by themselves, though.
Please indicate on the application form if you wish to apply for a grant. It is also necessary to indicate in the application if you will uphold your registration and pay the participation fee in case that your application for the grant cannot be considered.
Applicants for the grant should send us, in addition to the application, a second letter of motivation that explains why a grant should be awarded and illustrates the expected benefits of the grant for the Summer School (500 words), a recommendation letter from a professor of the applicant’s university, and a copy of the applicant’s transcript of records.
Please also consider exploring other sources of financial aid. Your home institution might be able to advise you on financial aid possibilities.
Certificate of attendance / ECTS Credits
At the last day of the Summer School, every participant who regularly attended the program will receive a Certificate of Attendance.
If you are interested in obtaining ECTS credits, you can gain
- 2 ECTS credits (equivalent to 1 U.S. credit) by regularly attending the Summer School
- 6 ECTS credits (equivalent to 3 U.S. credits) by regularly attending the Summer School and submitting a paper of about 6.000-6.500 words to email@example.com up to 4 weeks after the end of the Summer School. The submission deadline is September 8, 2017. The topic of the paper has to be determined in consultation with the Summer School Coordinator.
Please note that the University of Bonn can only recommend that the home institutions award participants with 2 / 6 ECTS credits (equivalent to 1 / 3 U.S. credits). Participants who wish to receive the ECTS credits will have to contact either their study abroad office or the office in their university that deals with external credit. It is up to the home institutions of the participants as to how much credit they award. Of course, we will gladly advise them and, if need be, provide them with the Summer School syllabus and graded paper.
The Summer School is unfortunately not able to provide housing in Bonn.
If you are however interested in obtaining a list of accommodation possibilities, please write an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please also note that housing in Bonn is in high demand. Thus, we recommend beginning the search for housing possibilities as soon as you are accepted into the Summer School.
The Summer School is unfortunately not able to provide health, accident and liabiliy insurance. It is the responsibility of the participants to take care of health, accident and liability insurance coverage.
Please indicate in the application form if you need an official letter from the University of Bonn confirming your admission to the Summer School in order to apply for a visa. The letter will be sent with the admission notification.
Please also note that all visa procedures remain in the responsibility of the participants and must be taken care of in due time.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions: email@example.com