Successful University Admission

Applications from International Students

If you have a university entrance qualification from a country other than Germany, there are some important aspects to consider regarding your application and future studies. Here, we tell you what you need to bear in mind.

Admission Requirements


Bachelor’s, State Examination, Degrees in Theologies



There are specific enrollment conditions for each master’s degree program that applicants need to meet in addition to holding a relevant first degree. These conditions are listed in the description of the corresponding academic discipline on the page for the degree program: Degree programs

How to apply?

Bachelor’s, State Examination and Degrees in Theologies

© Barbara Frommann

Applicants from the EU/EEA or with a spouse/parent from the EU/EEA and applicants considered equivalent to German nationals

  • A certified copy of your university entrance qualification along with a certified translation into German, English or French.
  • Proof of German language skills for application at a level CEFR B2 and for enrollment DSH level 2, CEFR level C1, according to DSH examination regulations.

Documents must be sent to the Student Registry at the University of Bonn.

Applicants from non-EU/EEA countries

Applicants from non-EU/EEA countries may need to do some paperwork in their home country before they are able to send us relevant documentation. The following website sets out in detail what you need to do:


© Volker Lannert

There is a specific application process for each master’s degree program. Applications are individually reviewed by the respective departments. You can find out what documents are required in the description of the relevant academic discipline on the degree program page. You will receive further details during the application process.

Dates and deadlines


Bachelor’s, State Examination, Degrees in Theologies

Applicants from the EU/EEA or with a spouse/parent from the EU/EEA and applicants considered equivalent to German nationals

Application deadlines

Applicants from non-EU/EEA countries
Must always submit an application, including for degree programs without admission restrictions.



All our master’s degree programs have individual deadlines, which you can find on the websites of the relevant academic disciplines.

German language proficiency

  • All programs awarding a bachelor’s, state examination or Church degree require German language proficiency DSH level 2, CEFR level C1, as per DSH examination regulations
  • Master’s degree programs have different language proficiency requirements, which you can find in the description of the relevant academic discipline on the degree program page.

German language courses (DSH preparation)

Applicants with German language skills at CEFR level B1 may apply for a German language course offered by the University of Bonn that prepares participants for the DSH examination and begins one to two semesters before the start of the actual degree program.

Costs and financing

Cost of studying

Public universities in Germany do not charge tuition fees, only semester fees. At the University of Bonn, these are around EUR 300 per semester (EUR 600 per year). Applications to degree programs are free.


You can find scholarships for international students on the website of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).

Living expenses

Living expenses in Bonn come to EUR 864 a month on average.

Blocked account for student visa

If you require a visa for your studies in Germany, you will need proof of sufficient finances by opening a blocked account. The Federal Foreign Office can provide further information.


The Studierendenwerk Bonn is responsible for student accommodation and will also take applications for spaces in student dorms. You can find additional accommodation options and further information on the following website


Depending on your country of origin and nationality, you may need a visa if you want to study at the University of Bonn. The following list from the Federal Foreign Office will tell you whether you will need a visa and, if so, how you can apply: Federal Foreign Office website

Contact information

Questions about applications

Bachelor’s, State Examination, Church Degrees

Student Registry


Surname A – F   +49 228 73 3915
Surname G – M  +49 228 73 7655
Surname N – Z   +49 228 73 6374



Please contact the people responsible for the relevant degree program directly. You can find their details on the Degree programs page.

General advice

Zentrale Studienberatung


+49 228 73-7080


2rd floor
Poppelsdorfer Allee 49
53115 Bonn, Germany

Wird geladen