You are here: Home Studying International Students Degree Programs During your studies

During your studies




During your studies


For an easier access you will find written information and usually welcoming courses at your faculty. You get an overview of our services and offers in our brochure "Insight for international Master Students in Bonn".

In addition to the information offered during the enrollment by the registrar´s office (Studentensekretartiat), your faculty will offer you information - e.g.  preliminary courses (see also "Pre-Course offers according to subjects of study"] as well as orientation weeks which will give you a first orientation concerning your field of study after your arrival in Bonn.

For specific consulting in your field of study, several departmental study advisors be available, to answer questions at the beginning or during your studies.

The student representations, called "Fachschaft", offer information and support for new students and foreign students - especially for the respective field of studies. 

In order to continue your studies, you have to re-register at the Studentensekretariat at the beginning of the next semester, within the appropriate time-limit. You will find further information here (in German, for questions please contact the registrar's office). 


For international students - with an admission and without German language proficiencies - we offer a Welcome Service for Master's students and doctoral candidates on arrival, for the first steps at the University of Bonn. As component of our Help Desk, we will accompany you within the first days/weeks - on request - at necessary administrative procedures.

The International Office as well as your department offer special events and courses for international students for example German language courses, events at the International Club, rehearsal of the International Choir, excursions and so on. You will find further information here "Counseling & service for international students".


In order to apply for a visa, but at latest in order to apply for a residence permit, non-EU students have to prove their financial status - for at least the duration of their study stay in Germany - usually before they start studying. This financial status should prove that the student has enough financial support for the first year after arrival/the validity duration of the residence permit. Please, contact and ask the German embassy in your home country in advance, how much money and in which form you have to prove it.  

Students who have family members or acquaintances, who live in Germany, can name them as a sponsor - using the so called "Verpflichtungserklärung" (formal obligation) - if he/she is willing to take over the costs of the student.

EU-students have to show their sufficient financial status, but are not obliged to prove it.

You should keep in mind the following costs during your studies in Germany:

  • Living expenses (rent, food, clothes, books…/ about 700-800 Euro monthly). Here You find detailed information on average monthly cost of living - source: "Deutsches Studierendenwerk".

  • social contribution - about 285 €/Semester (summer semester 2017)

Several foundations like the DAAD (The German Academic Exchange Service) offer scholarships and grants. Commonly, the application for a scholarship might already be done in the home country. Therefore, please inform yourself early enough about the application deadline (some foundations only decide 1-2 times a year who is accepted as a scholarship holder). The DAAD offers a comprehensive list of several foundations: DAAD Finding Scholarships. Additionally, the International Office offers an overview of the several foundations: Scholarship overview.

For international graduates and non-graduates: Please note, there are different conditions for graduates and non-graduates. Sometimes an application for a scholarship is only possible after being accepted at university.

If the residence permit accepts, students are allowed to work in Germany. You will find the necessary information concerning working permissions for foreign students of non-EU countries here - source DAAD - "Earning money".


Depending on your residence permit, foreign students are allowed to work. The general permission to work should already be noted in your passport. Nevertheless, there are some regulations in order to carry out a job without the permission of the 'Bundesagentur für Arbeit'.

EU-students do not need a working permission. For them, the same regulation as for German students is obligatory: for an income of more than 19 hours per week and more than 450€ students will have to pay taxes and social charges. With this tax you will pay German pension and health insurance fund which will be count within the EU. In order to carry out a job, you will have to apply for a tax number which you will receive at the tax office.

Foreign students having a residence permit are allowed to carry out a job without permission up to 120 full days or 240 half days (if it does not exceed four/five hours per day) within one legal year. Even if the employment is not carried out in the long run but within a special period of time (e.g. holidays), only the days will be count on which the student carried out the work. A weekend is therefore not counted as an coherent employment. Employees and employers have to check how many hours already have been carried out within the legal calender without permission in order to avoid exceeding 120/240 days.

If the student already worked 120 days, it is necessary to get the permission from the Bundesagentur für Arbeit and the foreigner's office.

Beside the 120 days without permission, it is possible to carry out an additional job as a student assisant or research assistant without any time limitation. This is also the regulation for obligatory internships which are part of the studies. You should contact your institute in order to find a job as a student assistant or tutor.

If you have questions concernig carrying out a job, please contact the foreigner's office. E-Mail:

You will find the necessary information concerning working permissions for foreign students of non-EU countries here "Information on the Legal Requirements Applicable to the Pursuit of Gainful Employment by Foreign Students, University GraduatesScientists and Other Academics (source: DAAD 2012).


Additionally to the local newspapers and job pools, you will find job offers here: (click on the German flag for English/French)

You can also ask for job/internship offers or the like at the Career Center - University of Bonn (in German).


The foreigner's office is responsible for extending your residence permit.

Please keep in mind to make an appointment for the extension of your residence permit before your current residence permit becomes invalid.

Students who entered Germany without a visa obligation but who will stay for more than 3 months are also obliged to apply for a residence permit after their arrival in Germany. 

Ausländeramt der Stadt Bonn

Oxfordstrasse 19
53111 Bonn

In order to apply for a residence permit you need an appointment which can be made online.

Normally, the foreigner's office needs the following documents:
- filled application form (if the student entered without a visa), this is available at the foreigner's office 
- valid passport (valid for the period of the extension!)
- pass photo (biometric)
- working contract of confirmation of your financial status
- confirmation of your health insurance company 
- confirmation of the registration at the Einwohnermeldeamt 
- if spouse or children will stay in Germany as well: certificate of marriage and certificate of birth.

While making an appointment please ask if additional documents are necessary.


Students with children are supported by the AStA Advising Office for students with children (Beratungsstelle ‚Studieren mit Kind‘) or by the University Family Office for Parents at the University of Bonn.In addition, there are several daycare centers (Kindertagesstätte = KiTa) and parent groups (Elterninitiativen).

The Studierendenwerk Bonn runs a total of 5 daycare centers (3 in Bonn, one each in Rheinbach and St. Augustin): for general information (in German) and contact see here

Studierendenwerk Bonn

Nassestraße 11, 53113 Bonn
Tel.: 02 28 / 73-71 99

Please be aware that if you are following the links below for further information, most of the provided information is in German!

The KiTa "Rheinaue" in Bonn cares for a maximum of 90 children of student parents, ages from four months to school-entry age. The u3 slots (for children younger than 3) are reserved for students. It is located in close proximity to the Rheinauen (Heinrich-von-Stephan-Straße) and is served by U-Bahn (Line 66: Stop: Robert-Schuman-Platz) and bus (Line 610: Stop: Volksbankhaus). Registration is possible at any time via the website of theStudierendenwerk Bonn.

The KiTa "Newmanhaus" on Adenauerallee, which is operated by the Studierendenwerk in cooperation with the University of Bonn, cares for a maximum of 35 children aged from four months to school-entry age. The u3 slots are reserved for young scholars, while the other slots are available primarily for children of students and employees of the University. The KiTa is located in the Studentenwohnheim Newmanhaus and is served by U-Bahn (Lines 66 and 63: Stop: Juridicum). Registration is possible at any time via the website of the Studierendenwerk Bonn.

The KiTa "Auf dem Hügel" is closely located to the Campus Endenich. Here is taking care of 50 children, aging from four months to school-entry age. Most slots are reserved for children of students and employees of the University.

You will find another KiTa in Sankt Augustin, which is next to the campus of the University of Applied Sciences Bonn-Rhein-Sieg. If you are enrolled or employed here, you can register for free slots. In two groups is taking care of about 30 children, aging from four months to school-entry age.

Also in the surrounding of the University of Applied Sciences Bonn-Rhein-Sieg, you will find the KiTa Rheinbach. It has the same requirements and capacities as the KiTa in Sankt Augustin.

Both KiTas are operated by the Studierendenwerk Bonn as well.

These institutions charge an income-dependent statutory parent contribution, as well as a monthly flat fee of 83 Euro for food, diapers and care products.

The following admission conditions apply for all Studierendenwerk daycare centers (KiTa):

  • At least one parent must be a properly registered student/ at the University of Bonn or at the Hochschule Rhein-Sieg.

  • They must be residents of the corresponding municipality (Bonn, Rheinbach, St. Augustin)

Please note: Admission is usually at the beginning of the Kindergarten year (August), or when free slots are available. Please note that the KiTa will usually remain closed for three weeks during the Summer.

Additional KiTa institutions in Bonn can be found on the City of Bonn website. You are also very welcome to inquire at the Family Office (Familienbüro) of the City of Bonn with any questions on education or care. For urgent queries, there is a City of Bonn hotline: 02 28 / 77 40 70.

There are several student-friendly parent groups (Elterninitiativen) in Bonn. You will find their addresses here: 

Kinderladen Dottendorf e.V., Dottendorfer Straße 10, 53129 Bonn, Ph.: 02 28 / 23 33 11          
Kindertagesstätte Augustinushaus, Katholische Hochschulgemeinde, Eduard-Pflüger-Straße 56, 53113 Bonn, Ph.: 0228 / 54 97 51 / 
Kinderladen Kleine Kaiser e.V., Kaiserstraße 14, 53113 Bonn
KiTa an der PH e.V., (not only for students!), Karl-Legien-Straße 146, 53117 Bonn, Ph.: 0228 / 67 61 87
KiTa Rotznasen e.V., Nassestraße 9, 53113 Bonn, Ph.: 02 28 / 26 53 95

The University of Bonn offers prospective students and students with disabilities and/or chronic diseases, a central point of contact for clarification of issues that are associated with the study, or serve to resolve personal problems - which need a coordination within the university administration and/or in the relevant department/ faculty.
For questions, please contact Ms. Marion Becker, 53012 Bonn, Tel.: +49 (0) 228 73 7306, Fax: +49 (0) 228 73 7969


Document Actions