You are here: Home Studying International Students Degree Programs Before Studying

Before Studying

Informationstag für internationale Studierende 2

Orientation session for new international students




I. Before Your Arrival 

Application Process

General information about studying is available on our homepage "Studying at the University of Bonn", for example: detailed information about the offered courses/degrees, the application & admission process, as well as the appropriate contact persons can also be found.

Please Note: Detailed information for undergraduate studies is mostly available in German only, since the courses are taught in German. For information about our German language courses and language requirements see the links below.

The Central Student Advisory Service provides information on questions concerning the offered study courses, possible combinations of subjects, and study related contents.

The Registrar´s Office (Studentensekretariat - see here: contact persons for Applicants with a foreign Higher Education Entrance Qualification) is responsible for the application and admission process for Undergraduate degree programs (Bachelor, State Examination, Theological Degree...)

  • Application Deadlines for undergraduate degrees are: July 15 for the Winter Semester and January 15 for the Summer Semester (see also other Dates & Deadlines).

If you have already studied a number of semesters at another university, and you want to continue your studies in a higher semester at Bonn University, your academic achievements must first be officially recognized. The recognition of your academic achievements is carried out by either the respective faculty or, in case of state examination study courses, through the "Landesprüfungsamt" (~ Public Examination Office). For specific questions regarding admission to a higher semester, or to courses in a higher semester (undergraduate degrees), please contact the responsible program advisor in the respective faculty/department - "Fachstudienberatung"  (also stated on the respective web page of the degree programs).    

To apply for a Master's Program at the University of Bonn, special admission requirements and deadlines must be considered! For Master Degrees, the faculty/department of your desired field of study is responsible for the application and admission process  - for further information, see Master degree courses.

Furthermore, the University of Bonn offers International Degree Programs (in most cases Master- or Ph.D.-programs and 2 Bachelor programs), which are specially geared towards international applicants. These programs are partially or completely taught in English and provide special counseling and support for international students. Again, special admission requirements and deadlines must be taken into consideration. For questions concerning the application and registration process, please contact the respective program coordinator / academic department.

For information on applying for a PhD. Program, please visit our  "Portal for Doctoral and Postdoctoral Researchers".  Also see our social support program for international PhD. students: "Pro-Motion".

International students must prove that they have sufficient German language skills for admission to most university degree programs. Please inform yourself on time about the language requirements in order to qualify for your desired program. The following website will provide you with further information:

Please also be aware of the English language skills requirements for certain degree programs, particularly the language requirements for the International Study programs (mostly taught in English or bilingual)!


Applicants from Non-EU/EEC Countries

Entry, Visa, Residence Permit

Citizens of EU/EEA States do not need a visa for entering Germany or studying in Germany due to ther Freedom of Movement Act. Only a valid travel document, such as a passport, is required.

Citizens from Australia, Israel, Japan, USA, Canada, New Zeeland, Honduras, Monaco, San Marino, Andorra, South Korea and Switzerland may also enter without a visa. If you are here to study for more than three months, however, you must apply for a Residence Permit at the Ausländeramt (Foreigners’ Registration Office) der Stadt Bonn. If you are from Honduras, San Marino, Andorra or Monaco, you may only enter without a visa if you are not planning to look for paid employment in Germany.

The list of countries that do or do not require an entry permit for Germany can be found on the website of the Federal Foreign Office (Auswärtiges Amt).

For the citizens of all other countries, a visa is required for entry and for studying, as long as your stay will be longer than 90 days. In order to be able to enter the country, please apply for a National Student Visa at the appropriate German Consulate in your country. Do not enter the country on a Schengen or tourist visa! A tourist visa cannot be converted into a visa or a residence permit for education or training purposes.

Please be aware of the entry conditions and the visa application process deadlines. Also bear in mind that Student Visas are valid from the date of issue – not the date of entry!

If you have received a Letter of Acceptance (Zulassungsbescheid) from the University of Bonn, you must apply for a National Student Visa which is usually issued for the duration of three months to one year. Within that time period, and after you have registered at the University of Bonn, you must apply for a Residence Permit at the Ausländeramt der Stadt Bonn (Foreigners’ Registration Office).

If you have already traveled to Bonn, but have not yet received an acceptance letter, you must apply for an prospective (or language-) student visa.

In order to apply for a German Student Residence Permit, the following documents are required:

  • Passport
  • Confirmation certificate of a valid health insurance 
  • Proof of financing of students from non-EU countries (a bank statement [blocked account], scholarship, or working contract which proves that you have enough financial support for the first year (for rent, food, clothing...). The required amount is (from Sptember 1st. 2019) 10,236 Euro/year, or 853 Euro/month - [ for information concerning a blocked account, see below - opening a bank account].
  • High School entrance qualification or Confirmation of academic achievements (if available)
  • Letter of admission from the university, confirmation that approval will be expected, or proof of enrollment at the university
  • Proof of existing German language skills or a planned language course in Germany

The required documents may vary depending on your country of origin. Therefore, for requirements information, please contact the German embassy in your home country. To find a German consulate near you, visit: Federal Foreign Office.

To find out which Residence Permit you may need, please see "Rights of residence for researchers from non-EU countries in Germany", provided by the German Rector's Conference, the Voice of the Universities.

Moreover, you will also find detailed information under: "Information on the legal framework conditions for Immigration and Residence of foreign students and scholars " offered by the German Academic Exchange Service (source: DAAD, 2017).

After you arrive in Germany and have moved into to a dorm/apartment, you must register at the Einwohnermeldeamt (Registration Office) of Bonn (see below registration Einwohnermeldeamt). After registering, you will receive a registration confirmation [Meldebestätigung] which is necessary to open a bank account, and to apply for an appointment at the Foreigners' Authority (Ausländerbehörde).


Financing / Scholarships

In order to apply for a visa or a Residence Permit, usually non-EU students must provide an adequate financial security statement (from September 1st. an amount of 853 Euros per month / 10,236 Euros per year). The financial security statement must prove that the student has enough financial support for the first year after arrival. Please contact and ask the German embassy in your home country in advance, how much money is required, and how you can prove your sufficient financial status. EU-Students must show their sufficient financial status, but are not obliged to provide an official financial security statement.

Students who have family members or acquaintances that live in Germany may name them as a sponsor if he/she is willing to take over the costs of the student.

You should keep in mind the following costs during your studies in Germany:

  • Living expenses (rent, food, clothes, books…/ ca. 700-800 Euro monthly). See further Information for international Students concerning monthly costs of living (source: Deutsches Studentenwerk).

  • Semester Fee - (e.g. 309,91 € for Winter Semester 2020/21) - this fee includes, among other things, the costs of the student ticket (191,20 €), for the regional public transportation, access to student canteens/cafeteria, libraries...).  

Several foundations like the DAAD (The German Academic Exchange Service) offer scholarships and grants. Applying for a scholarship can already be done in your home country. Therefore, please inform yourself early enough about possible scholarship opportunities, as well as their corresponding application deadlines (some foundations only decide 1-2 times a year who is granted a scholarship). The DAAD offers a comprehensive list of several foundations at: Additionally, the International Office offers an overview of several foundations: Scholarship-Foundations Overview.

Please Note: There are different conditions for graduates and non-graduates. Sometimes an application for a scholarship is only possible after being accepted to a university.

International students may work in Germany, if the terms and conditions of their Residence Permit allow them. You will find the necessary information concerning working permission for foreign students of non-EU countries here: Information on the Legal Framework Conditions for the Gainful Employment of foreign students, university graduates, scientists and other academics (


Finding a Room / Dorm

Finding an affordable room can be a challenge for many new students in Bonn. This task may be especially difficult for international students without sufficient German language skills. The Studierendenwerk Bonn - an independent public institution – offers subsidized rooms in student residences. Due to an increasing number of students, ( 39.000 in Winter Semester 2018/19 alone) however, these rooms are booked quite quickly! Sometimes there is a huge housing shortage for cheap accommodations in Bonn (e.g. at start of the winter semester), therefore it is important to search for an accommodation as soon as possible!

Please note that the International Office can only provide general information for finding an accommodation (i.e. accommodation databases / contacts to private dorms), in the end finding housing is ultimately the student’s responsibility! Therefore, please start your autonomous search for housing early!

You can find detailed information on the offered locations of the residence, the amenities and the rental fee on the website of the Studierendenwerk Bonn/accommodation. Or, for a wider range of housing options, click here The rental fee includes all utilities, and is calculated based on the facility, size of the room, offered furniture, location, and transportation connections. Please Note: Disabled and ill students are accommodated first.

It is possible to apply for several dorms. As soon as the Studierendenwerk confirms that there is a room or apartment available, they will send you the rental contract, or you may go their office to sign it.

Exception: for students of "International degree programs" (fully taught in Englisch!), a limited number of rooms might already be reserved. Please contact your master-/Ph.D. -program coordinator concerning this possibility. 

The furnishings offered in the dorms differ from room to room. Some apartments include a private bathroom, while others may have a shared bathroom, or a shared kitchen. Additional to single apartments, the Studierendenwerk also offers shared apartments for families, and single parents. Every residence provides washing machines, and sometimes dryers, to their tenants. Moreover, a telephone, internet, and T.V. connection are offered in each dorm. Duvet covers, towels, and kitchen utensils are not provided! Please, find out what amenities are provided in your dorm on time. General tips can be found here (

You will find the necessary information about the dorms and the application procedure on the webpage of the Studerendenwerk Bonn - Please note: the University of Bonn and the Studierendenwerk Bonn are two separate and independent institutions, for questions please contact the mentioned address below!

Studierendenwerk Bonn AöR
Abt. Studentisches Wohnen
Nassestraße 11
53113 Bonn
phone: 0228/ 73 7163
E-Mail: [Email protection active, please enable JavaScript.]
Opening Hours: Mon, Tue, Thu 9:00 - 12:00, Thu. also 2:00 - 4:00 pm.

If you are not successful in obtaining a room from the Studierendenwerk Bonn, you will have to look for a room on the private market. You can find several addresses on our website "Accomodation in Bonn" - here you will also find websites of additional residence halls of private or church-related organizations, housing search engines, and the official websites of a few real estate agents. Please note: Some real estate agencies charge a commission fee. 

If you are looking for private housing, after your arrival in Bonn, the daily papers (General-Anzeiger or Bonner Rundschau or Schnüss or Annonc) offer private apartment ads.

Finding a new room to live can be difficult in a new city, especially from abroad. You can get help by Flattrust, they help you to find a new home (an intermediary /with small charge -! 

For rental agreements for the private housing market see: - general advices and important instructions regarding contracts: "All you need to know before signing a rental agreement on private market" - see external link Just Landed.


General information for applicants from the People´s Republic of China

Since November 26, 2001, the Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms University of Bonn only accepts applications from the People's Republic of China if, in addition to the reports, the completed entrance application also includes the original certificate of the academic inspection authority of the Cultural Department of the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany in Beijing.

The original certificate can also be replaced by a copy that has been authenticated by the German Embassy; certificates authenticated by other sources will not be accepted! Furthermore, the University of Bonn does not accept any applications via third parties. This means that you must fill out the application yourself, enter your address, and sign the form. Entrance applications that do not fulfill the requirements above will not be processed and will be rejected.

This rule also applies to Chinese university applicants who have a degree from their home country and would like to do their PhD. in Bonn.

This rule does not apply:

  • to applicants who have completed a German "Studienkolleg"
  • to applicants who have successfully finished their first semester at a German university

You can contact the newly founded academic inspection authority in Beijing via:

Chaoyang District
Dongsanhuan Beilu 8
Landmark tower 2, Office 0311
100004 Beijing
Telephone: +86/10/65907141 
Fax: +86/10/65907140 - The Embassy also provides further useful information.

For further information see "special cases" on the page Applicants from non-EU/EEC countries


Studying with a Disability

The University of Bonn offers disabled, prospective students, and enrolled students with disabilities and/or chronic diseases, a designated point of contact for clarification of issues that are associated with studying in Bonn with a disability. This contact point also serves to resolve personal problems - which may need to be dealt with in coordination with the university administration and/or in the relevant department/ faculty. For questions, please contact Ms. Marion Becker, postal address: 53012 Bonn, Regina-Pacis-Weg 3, 53113 Bonn, Tel .: +49 (02) 228 73 7306, E-Mail: [Email protection active, please enable JavaScript.].


 II. After Your Arrival / Your First Days in Bonn 

The University of Bonn offers a Welcome Service - for international master students and doctoral candidates without a good German language proficiency - for the first steps at the University of Bonn, as component of our Help Desk. Within the first few days/weeks after arrival we will assist you - on request - with the necessary administrative procedures.

Moving into a Dorm / Apartment

After receiving a room confirmation from the Studierendenwerk, please let them know where, and when, you would like to sign the leasing contract. You can either sign the contract and send it from your home country, or sign it at the Studierendenwerk (Abt. Studentisches Wohnen, Nassestraße 11) after you have arrived in Bonn. Please remember, the payment of the first month's rent and the security deposit (approx. 2 monthly rents) are due at signing.  

Every residence hall is located near a public transportation stop.  A room for safe bicycle storage is also offered in all residence halls. The parking area, however, is normally restricted.

Most residence halls offer common rooms which can be used by every occupant (e.g. for parties and activities in the evening where you can meet other fellow students).

Additionally to the facility manager, most dorms have foreigner's tutors, who can help you with questions concerning your dorm, or with general questions about living in Bonn. The foreigner's tutors are also University of Bonn students who voluntarily support international students. The Studierendenwerk will give you the name of your residence hall's foreigner's tutor. Please, contact your foreigner's tutor or the janitor on time in order to get the key to your room!

If no dorm rooms are available from the Studierendenwerk Bonn, there are additional, private student halls (including religious-oriented dormitories). You can directly apply for a room on their website. Here is an overview of several offers (see point 4):

City of Bonn - Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt)

It is required that you register at the Registration Office of the city of Bonn ("Bürgeramt") within two weeks following your move-in date. Furthermore, if you permanently leave the country, you must de-register.

Registration is required by law: 

  • two weeks following your move-in date into an accommodation with a valid address, at the latest  (a valid address is a place of residence where you can receive mail and be reached personally. Addresses of hotels, hostels or the like are not accepted)
  • when changing your residence within the same town, you have to update your registration with your new address
  • if you move to another city in Germany and after your registration there, a cancellation of your old address will happen automatically.
  • Is only required when you leave Germany and move to another country
  • Must be done one week before you move abroad, or until two weeks after your move (without a permanent address).
If you stay in Germany for less than 3 months, you do not have to register or de-register!

If you want to register or de-register at the city of Bonn, you have to provide the “Wohnungsgeberbestätigung”. This is a written confirmation from your landlord, or landlady, stating that you live/have lived at his/her property. The landlord or the landlady has an obligation to cooperate! When you move in or out of one of the student dormitories from the “Studierendenwerk Bonn”, the property manager will fill in the “Wohnungsgeberbestätigung”. You can download the document here. Annotation: It is forbidden by law for landlords/landladies to provide an address, if the property is not rented out, or is not going to be rented out, to the designated person (in the event of serious misconduct, the landlord/landlady can be penalized with a high fine). If a landlord/landlady refrains from filling in the form, provides false data, or if he/she provides the data too late, the landlord/lady can be penalized with a fine of up to 1000 €.

After you moved into your dorm or other living facilities in Bonn you have to register at the:

Bürgeramt Bonn
Berliner Platz 2 
53111 Bonn
Phone: +49 (0) 2 28) 77 66 77
Office Hours: Mo. and Thu. 8 a.m. - 6 pm  
Tue., We. and Fr.: 8 a.m. -  1 p.m.  
City of Bonn - international website (

Flyer: Citizens Service Center

Usually, you need an appointment for registration! You can request an appointment online. In order to register you need the following documents:

- Passport or I.D.

- A valid address in Bonn

- The completed "Wohnungsgeberbescheinigung"

After registering, you will receive the following documents:
Meldebescheinigung -  you will need this to open a bank account, and in order to apply for an appointment at the Foreigner's Office (Ausländerbehörde)

Vouchers - Discounted fee, or free entrance, to various museums and theaters in Bonn.


Health Insurance

Students in Germany are required by law to have valid health insurance. In order to enroll at a German university, you must first provide proof that you have valid health insurance.

For students of EU-countries and EWR-countries (Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway), it may be possible to carry over your home country's health insurance if Germany has a social security treaty with your country. Please contact your current health insurance company in your home country in order to be sure that your health insurance will be accepted in Germany. If you already have European health insurance, it should be accepted in Germany as well. If this is the case, a German public health insurance company will confirm the insurance from your home country (exemption letter from the statutory health insurance). This confirmation is necessary in order to enroll at the University of Bonn. [Please note: when you start a paid job (this also applies to mini jobs with less than 450 € / month!), the exemption from the health insurance liability in Germany will become invalid and a contract with a health insurance in Germany is required!]

If you do not have valid health insurance, you must obtain a valid health insurance policy through a German health insurance company.  As long as you are not 30 years old, and did not pass your 14th semester at university, you can decide between a public health insurance or a private health insurance. The fee of the public health insurance is about 90 €/month and does NOT depend on your financial status. 

Students who are older than 30 years, or who have already reached their 14th semester must obtain private health insurance in order to enroll at the university. Usually, a private health insurance is more expensive than public health insurance because the cost depends on your age and your state of health. Therefore, we recommend you to compare the fees of different private health insurance companies. You should also contact a public health insurance provider to ask if a voluntary health insurance policy might be possible. Please note that it is not possible to change from a private health insurance to a public one!

Scholarship holders have special conditions. Please, contact your scholarship provider before you leave your home country. Scholarship holders from EU and EWR-countries may be insured by a public health insurance company.

The obligatory student fee which will be paid after the enrollment includes accident insurance which might occur on the way between your apartment and university, and on the university campus. Additionally, it is recommended to obtain liability insurance, if the insurance of your home country is not valid in Germany.


Opening a Bank Account

After you arrive in Bonn, you should open a German bank account in order to pay rent and the student fee.

Opening a German bank account is also recommended because most of the fees (rent, student fee, health insurance fee etc.) are paid via bank transfer and not cash. You can also set up an automatic money transfer order for paying the rent, health insurance, and electricity bills. These money transfer orders are active until they are changed or cancelled. Please inform your bank company immediately if you find charges to your account that you did not make yourself.

Generally, opening a bank account is free of charge for students. Nevertheless, please ask the bank about their account fees in advance (e.g. a small selection with web pages in English:


It is possible to open a bank account directly after registering at the Einwohnermeldeamt. To open a bank account you need the following documents:

• Passport or ID card

• Meldebescheinigung / Confirmation of Registration at the Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt Stadt Bonn)

• Student I.D. or Enrollment Confirmation. 

Blocked Accounts: Many international students from Non-EU countries must open a Blocked Account as proof (at Embassies or Foreigners' Offices) of their sufficient financial  funds. A Blocked Account is a bank account that does not allow any transactions until the day you have arrived in Germany. Per month, only one-twelfth (853€) of the total amount (10,236€/year) on the account is available. 

To open a blocked account, for entry permit or visa purposes, you can choose various ways:
by Fintiba ( and Coracle ( or expatrio ( - a service provider/mediator for international students - with approval by the German Federal Foreign Office) offers the option to easily open an online blocked account and/or sign up for health insurance, in their home country, or after arriving in Germany. This account can then be connected to a normal German bank account created at one of the banks mentioned above.
Alternatively, you can open a blocked account at the Deutsche Bank. To do this, please fill out the form and follow the instructions found through the following link: (click: Forms -> Opening a blocked account -> Opening a bank account/blocked account for international students = 18 years.). For further questions, please contact the bank!


Enrolling at the Registrar's Office of the University of Bonn

Once you have been accepted to the University of Bonn, you must register for your study program at the ‘Studentensekretariat’ (Registrar´s Office) of the University of Bonn. You will find the applicable deadlines in your admission letter (see alternatively "Einschreibefristen" - in German). Please note, you must state - in the given time frame - whether you would like to accept a place at the university! Otherwise, your spot may expire after a specified deadline, and will probably be given to another applicant. You can find more detailed information regarding the deadlines in your admission letter. PhD students can register at any time and are not subject to deadlines. 

Usually, you must register in person at the Studentensekretariat. The advantage to this is that any questions can be answered directly by the university staff.

A registration application is required for registration - you may get the form on-site, or it can be found on the`Studentensekretariat´website (in German - see "Einschreibung"). Here, you will also find a list of all documents you must bring with you. For support in this matter, please visit the Info-Point, on the left hand side of the entrance of the`Studentensekretariat´. Please note the explanations regarding health insurance in particular!
In addition to the standard documents, PhD. students must provide a confirmation from the faculty that they have been accepted (the "Promotionsbescheinigung").
When registering, you will receive a form for a bank wire transfer stating the due amount for the Semester Contribution Fee ("Sozialbeitrag" a fee per semester, e.g. for winter semester 2020/21: 309,91 EUR / thereof 191,20 € for the student-ticket), for your student ID card, Canteen card, a student ticket for public transport, as well as certificates proving you are registered at the University of Bonn. This can also be used to open a bank account or the like. Since it may take one to two weeks from the date of the transfer for the documents to be sent to your current address, you should transfer the required amount as soon as possible. Please note that when registering at the mid/end of the semester, the full social contribution must be paid! 
About one to two weeks after the bank wire transfer, you will receive the "Semesterbogen" in the mail, which includes:
  • Your student I.D. which is also your ticket for the entire Verkehrsverbund Rhein-Sieg (the regional public transit system); 
  • Several registration certificates;
  • The wire transfer form for the registration confirmation for the following  semester; as well as
  • A "Studiendokumentation" (Study Documentation).

The "Studiendokumentation" comprises all important information on your studies thus far, as well as a course overview in which you may write down the classes you have registered for this semester. By mailing the "Semesterbogen", the registration process will be completed. Afterwards, you are considered an official student of the University of Bonn. You may then use the semester ticket for the regional public transport when the semester starts (WS: October 1st, SS April 1st).

Studentensekretariat Information:

Poppelsdorfer Allee 49
53115 Bonn
Fax: 737421 und 731740

Contact (see: Applicants with a foreign higher education entrance qualification)

Office Hours:

Mon, Tue, Thu 9 a.m. - 12 a.m.
Thu 2 - 4 p.m.
Please note the additional hours during the registration period!


Residence Permit - Foreigners' Office (Ausländeramt)
Immigration Office of the city of Bonn: New regulation for appointments


Under normal conditions applies the following:

All foreign students from non-EU countries who stay in Germany for more than 3 months for the purpose of studying must apply for a valid residence permit. You will receive this permit from the Ausländeramt of the City of Bonn after you have registered at the Einwohnermeldeamt and at the University.

Students from EU and EEA countries are the equivalent to German citizens and do not need to apply for a residence permit. 

In order to apply for a Residence Permit, you will need the following documents:

-  Application for a residence permit

-  Valid passport

-  A biometric passport photo

-  A visa, if necessary

-  The Registration Certificate from the University 

-  The Registration Certificate from the Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt)

-  Proof of sufficient finances for your studies (if applicable 853€ per month / 10,236€ per year*) 

-  Proof of sufficient health insurance coverage

-  Money to pay the process fee: between 60-120 €.

* regarding the financial proof/blocked account, see also above "Financing and Scholarships" or "Opening a Bank Account" 

A student Residence Permit is granted for a limited period of time and must be extended by the Ausländeramt. It is valid for at least one year and usually lasts no longer than two years.

Address of the Ausländeramt of the City of Bonn

Oxfordstraße 19

53111 Bonn

Phone: +49 - (0)228 - 77 60 00

Appointments can be made by phone Mon and Tue 14.00 -16.00h, Wed 8.00-16.00h, or via an online form.

Here, you can find more information from the City of Bonn. You will also find the online forms, information on residence permits, and the contact details of Bonn's bureaus (In German!).


University E-mail Address - Computer Center of Bonn University (Hochschulrechenzentrum)

All students of Bonn University will automatically receive a university email address in the following format: You can also access this email account via Webmail at the following address:

Your inbox has 100 MB of storage, and is equipped with spam- and virus protection. You will need this email address to use the e-Campus teaching and learning platform. Please be aware that the University of Bonn will send all official notifications regarding your studies to your Bonn University email address, which is why you should check your mail regularly. You also have the option to have e-mails forwarded to your normal e-mail address here.

·         PC Workstations

On the first floor of the HRZ, there are public computer workstations (ÖCAPs) for student use. The conditions for use are specified in the user rules (Benutzungsordnung). Internet access is via Bonnet at 100 Mbit/s, and user applications include OpenOffice, MSOffice, SPSS, Citavi, etc. Due to the connection via file service, files can be accessed at different stations (including at home) via the Internet. Each user currently has an allotment of 100 MB of storage on the central file server for his/her personal data. The servers are backed up daily by the HRZ. Data exchange with the PC at home is possible via CD, file service or USB stick 2.0.

University Computer Center (Hochschulrechenzentrum - HRZ)

The HRZ has additional hardware equipment that can be used by University students and employees.

This includes:

-   54 PC workstations (LINUX and Windows PC’s) with a fast Internet connection and the most frequently used applications;

-   A multi-functional device for printing and copying;

-   Plotter for color printing on standard paper or on photo paper up to DIN A0+ format;

-   Roll laminator for laminating posters;

-   A large format scanner for digitizing and copying originals up to DIN A0+ format;

-   A CD copying and printing station.


Computer Labs

Most institutes at the University of Bonn offer rooms with computer workstations for accessing the Internet. Computer access is provided free of charge for students and staff members of the university. 

In order to be able to work on a CIP-Pool computer, you will need a valid University I.D., which you can apply for at the University Computer Center. In some cases, you must also apply for a code card, which is required to get access to some of these rooms.

The faculties/academic departments provide additional details such as user policies and office hours.


Please visit the following link for more information on the University Computer Center: German / English 

Document Actions