Individual Doctoral Studies
Getting an individual PhD, primarily with the support from an advisor ("Doktorvater" or "Doktormutter"), is still the "classical" path to getting a doctoral degree in Germany. As a full university with a wide range of majors, the University of Bonn provides comprehensive options for doctoral students working towards an individual PhD.
Characteristics of the individual PhD
The individual PhD provides you a wide range of freedom. Other than a PhD within a doctoral program or a graduate school, you will not be bound to a structured support and qualification program.
Of course, you are free to participate in the support services the university offers to all registered students and doctoral students, such as at the Career Center.
Any professor at the University of Bonn - i.e., in all majors represented at the university - can function as a doctoral advisor.
Information for prospective doctoral students
- First steps: Support for international doctoral students
- Financing: Scholarships and grants for doctoral students
- Current job and membership announcements for doctoral students at the University of Bonn
- Formal Requirements: Regulations for obtaining doctoral degrees
- Doctoral programs and graduate schools at the University of Bonn