Changing Paths While Studying

Switching to Another Subject or Degree Program

If you wish to change your subject for the next semester, switch to a completely different degree program or add a degree program to your existing studies (double degree), then you must apply to do so for all free-admission subjects before the re-registration deadline (summer semester: end of February; winter semester: end of August). In any case you must have re-registered beforehand by paying the semester fee. This deadline applies even if you intend to begin an additional degree program immediately after obtaining a different degree.

If you are still deciding whether to change your subject or university, you will find a lot of helpful information and hints on the page Transferring to another academic discipline or university to support you in your decision.


If you wish to switch into a subject with restricted admission, then you must always apply within the application deadline and, if accepted, apply for a transfer during the enrollment period (refer to the admission notification).

Applicants without the equivalent qualifications of a German applicant must also apply for subjects without restricted admission

How can I switch to another subject or degree program?

Make sure that you have re-registered for the relevant semester by paying the semester fee and then apply for the transfer. To do this, send an email to the Student Registry ( by your university-email address within the applicable enrollment period. Please submit your student ID number and indicate whether you would like to study the additional degree program or which degree program is to be replaced. Enclose your university entrance qualification certificate and, for degree programs with restricted admission, your letter of admission.

If you intend to switch to a master's program submit the admission letter and if you intend to switch to doctoral studies submit the confirmation of admission to doctoral studies.

More information

Applicants for a Higher Program-Related Semester

Transfer students from other universities who wish to continue their degree at the University of Bonn must apply for admission to a higher program-related semester if the degree program has admission restrictions.

Wird geladen