Information about Studying

Information from the University of Bonn for prospective and current students and doctoral students affected by the war in Ukraine.

Besonderer Veranstaltungshinweis


University Hotlines

Assistance for Students

University administrators are offering to assist with acute challenges for students from Ukraine and Russia that have now arisen as a result of the war.

Please contact colleagues at:
Phone: +49 228 73-5948

Psychological support

University of Bonn students affected by the war in Ukraine can get in touch with Psychological Counseling at the Central Study Advisory and Counseling Service.

Phone: +49 228 73-7080


Warning: Fake News!

We would like to point out that the war in Ukraine has no impact on the enrollment status of students, regardless of their citizenship. Any claims to the contrary that are currently circulating in the social media are false!

Information for prospective students

If you would like to start or continue a degree program at the University of Bonn, please check whether we actually offer your chosen program. You will find a complete list of available degree programs on our website.

Degree programs A to Z

University entrance qualification

You will need a university entrance qualification to be allowed to study in Germany. The anabin website will tell you whether your school-leaving qualification entitles you to study in Germany. Students with a Ukrainian school-leaving qualification will need to have completed a year at a university in addition to their 11 years at school. If you have not yet been to university, you will be able to apply to a “Studienkolleg,” or preparatory college.

In accordance with the resolutions passed by the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs on university admissions based on Ukrainian educational qualifications, educational qualifications obtained during the war in Ukraine will be accepted for university admissions even if the applicant is unable to provide evidence of passing all the state examinations that would be required in normal circumstances.

Bachelor’s degrees, state examination, Church degrees

You will need to meet a few formal criteria if you would like to take an undergraduate degree program at the University of Bonn. To apply for a degree program taught in German, you will need advanced German skills (see under “Learning German”) and hold a university entrance qualification for German universities. If you meet these criteria, please check the next steps in your application process.

Master’s degrees

If you are aiming to take a Master’s degree at the University of Bonn, please be aware that each Master’s degree program has its own application procedure. Your documents will be reviewed by the respective departments individually. You can find out what documents are required in the description of the relevant academic discipline on the degree program page. You will receive further details during the application process.

The University of Bonn runs German courses from B1 level upward. Students with a refugee background can obtain funding via the FdIS program, which they can apply for using the application form.

The DSH preparatory course is an intensive course taught for 20 hours a week. It gears students up to take the German Language Proficiency Test for Admission to Higher Education (DSH), which is required to embark on a degree program taught in German.

Other recognized German examinations

Anyone who has not yet reached B1 level can either take preparatory courses at other language schools or teach themselves on online platforms. The Goethe Institute offers Ukrainian refugees language courses from A1 level upward at a cost of €0.25 per course. You can also practice German online on the Deutsche Welle website.

Because of the crisis, you might find that some of your documents are no longer available. If this applies to you:

The website of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine is one place where you can check school-leaving qualifications obtained in Ukraine, although you will only be able to obtain information yourself from here if you have already requested a digital qualified signature in person. In order to embark on a degree program, however, you will also need proof that you have completed one year of studies (see “University entrance qualification”).

Applicants for degree programs that apply capacity limits (“numerus clausus”) are required to present plausible evidence of their previous education, meaning that at least one form of proof must be submitted. If applicants are able to do this, they will need to take the aptitude test at Cologne district council. The average grade that they obtain in this test will allow them to take part in the admission procedure, although the restriction imposed by the aptitude test on their choice of subjects will apply, of course.

Applicants for degree programs without admission restrictions are also required to present credible evidence of their previous education. If they can do so and thus apply to the University for their chosen subject, they will be able to be admitted. They will need to submit at least one form of proof in this case too.

Please contact the Student Registry if you have any questions or would like a one-to-one consultation.

Anyone interested in attending individual courses who is unable or unwilling to be enrolled as a student can be admitted as an auditor if the circumstances of the degree program permit. The lecturer responsible has the final say regarding admission to their courses. Auditors are not entitled to take examinations and can only receive confirmation of attendance.

Application deadlines and fees

In line with the EU Council’s decision on March 03, 2022, everyone fleeing Ukraine will be given residency on humanitarian grounds with no red tape attached (in Germany, this is in accordance with § 24 of the German Residence Act). This means that they will also receive benefits according to solidary citizen’s income. Refugees recognized as such in Ukraine are to be treated in the same way. Residency will initially be granted for one year and can then be extended to three.

Residency rules for non-Ukrainian citizens fleeing from the war are decided on an individual basis. The abovementioned § 24 can also include nationals of other third countries who have resided lawfully in Ukraine (i.e. for studying) and who cannot return safely and permanently to their country or region of origin.

Our University does not have any student accommodation of its own. The student dormitories are managed by Studierendenwerk Bonn, while the General Students’ Committee (AStA) also offers housing advice.

Rather than renting their own apartment, many students live together in shared accommodation (in German “Wohnungsgemeinschaft,” or “WG”). There are numerous online portals that you can use to find one. We have put together some more information and tips on accommodation on our website.



Even though public universities in Germany do not charge tuition fees, students will need to pay a semester fee every semester. The “Application, admission and enrollment” section contains a cost breakdown.

Refugees will receive welfare benefits via the local authority where they live.

From June 01, 2022 onward, anyone with residency rights in accordance with § 24 of the German Residence Act will be entitled to receive the BAföG (like other recognized refugees) as soon as they hold a probationary permit, have been admitted to a degree program and are enrolled at a university.

Scholarships are also available from various foundations. One good database for finding a suitable funding scheme is the DAAD’s scholarship database.

Information for Ukrainian and Russian students at the University of Bonn


It is of great importance to the University to facilitate flexible solutions in this time of need, which naturally include taking into account your personal circumstances during examinations. Please contact the responsible examination authority where possible to obtain the best possible advice on your individual case and subject.

Examination authorities at the University of Bonn

Withdrawing from Examinations

Regulation as of April 01, 2022, as stipulated in your examination regulations: Candidates who have registered for an examination but have good cause to withdraw from that examination, especially due to illness, may generally do so regardless of the cancellation deadline. The examination board shall be notified of such withdrawals immediately and in writing. If the examination board accepts a medical certificate allowing for withdrawal due to illness or other good cause given by the candidate, the examination attempt shall be deemed void.

Individual regulations

The departments may take decisions regarding individual deadline extensions or individual agreements on alternative examination dates if the candidate does not wish to withdraw. This is at the discretion of the examination authority responsible for the degree program in question. We recommend to clarify these questions directly with the responsible examination office. The examination authorities may furthermore agree on individual regulations regarding resits, compensation or types of examinations.

Student Aid Fund (AStA)

In addition, the Student Aid Fund of the General Students’ Committee (AStA) can provide financial support to students. Contact:

Further information

“Freitisch” — free meals for those in need

Students in financial need can receive free meals in the canteens and cafeterias of the Studierendenwerk Bonn. For this purpose, an application must be submitted to the General Students’ Committee (AStA). Further information on the so-called “Freitisch” offer is available at the Studierendenwerk’s webpage.

German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)

The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) is currently in discussions about launching an appropriate support package. As soon as we have more detailed information, we will announce it here.




Central Study Advisory and Counseling Service

Students can contact the Psychological Counseling at the Central Study Advisory and Counseling Service for help. Please make an appointment via phone.

Phone: +49 228 73-7080

Further information

Studierendenwerk Bonn

The psychological counseling service at Studierendenwerk Bonn runs psychological consultations for students. Please make an appointment via email or phone.

Phone: +49 228 73-7106

Funding and Scholarships

Students at the University of Bonn are entitled to apply for spaces on the fully funded trip to Berlin being organized as part of the “Zukunft Ukraine” (“Future of Ukraine”) program financed by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).

Further information and prerequisites can be found in the announcement.

Application deadline: April 16, 2023

Learn more

This year, the International Office is able to use funding from the DAAD “Zukunft Ukraine” (Future Ukraine) program (combined scholarship and mentoring program) to support students of the University of Bonn who have been forced to flee due to the war in Ukraine. This may also nationals of other nations if they had a permanent residence permit or enjoyed international protection in Ukraine. Find more information in the link below.

Current application period: August 01 to September 10, 2023

Learn more

Hier steht Ihr Aufklapp-Text, der sich mit Klick auf den Titel oder das + ausklappt und mit erneutem Klick auf den Titel oder das - wieder einklappt.

NRWege ins Studium supports students of the University of Bonn who have a refugee history. We offer monthly scholarships of €300. We also provide counseling on the way to your university degree. If you are not eligible to BAföG and do not have other sources of income we can grant scholarships up to €934 in individual cases.

The application deadline for the summer semester 2024 has expired. A new call for applications will be announced here.

Formal conditions for application

  • You are considered a refugee in accordance with the program’s specifications: you have received a first decision by the BAMF; you are granted temporary protection or protection on humanitarian grounds; you are holding a residence permit for the purpose of admission from abroad; you are not subject to a final deportation order; you do not hold a settlement permit
  • You have received your university entrance qualification (equivalent to Abitur) abroad (not at a German school)
  • You have arrived in Germany within the past 5 years. This period can be extended to up to 7 years if you have underaged children, if you cared for other family members or if you suffered from illness for a longer period of time. If you took part in NRWege programs or Integra programs before, the time period of 5 years might also be extended

Selection criteria

  • Strong motivation for achievement and interest in your subject
  • Your achievements so far indicate that you will successfully complete your study program
  • Social engagement can be a plus (active membership in an association, social and political engagement, cultural activities)
  • You are willing to participate in counselling and activities within the NRWege program

Funding period and amount of funding

  • One semester with the option of extension (subject to approval by the Ministry of Culture and Science of NRW)
  • €300 per month for a scholarship complementing an income of max. €934
  • up to €934 per month for full scholarships

Application documents

  • Letter of motivation (one or two pages)
  • Curriculum vitae
  • Transcript of records (if you are only about to start your study program: certificate of German language skills with grade)
  • Certificate of enrollment or letter of admission from the University of Bonn (scholarship can be awarded only after enrollment)
  • Copy of residence permit or first BAMF decision
  • BAföG decision or proof of application for BAföG
  • If applicable, proof of income from other sources of public funding (e.g. ALGII)
  • If applicable, proof of income from a part-time job or other activities
  • Informal disclosure, dated and signed, about your general financial situation: monthly funds and its sources (salary, public funding etc.), if applicable income of your spouse
  • If possible, letter of recommendation (if you are in your 4th semester or above a letter of recommendation is mandatory)
  • If applicable, proof of your social engagement or outstanding achievements
  • If applicable, proof of participation in preparatory courses (e.g. language courses funded by Integra or NRWege)


If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact:
Dr. Katharina Kreuder-Sonnen

Hier steht Ihr Aufklapp-Text, der sich mit Klick auf den Titel oder das + ausklappt und mit erneutem Klick auf den Titel oder das - wieder einklappt.

Hier steht Ihr Aufklapp-Text, der sich mit Klick auf den Titel oder das + ausklappt und mit erneutem Klick auf den Titel oder das - wieder einklappt.

This year, the International Office is able to use funding from the DAAD STIBET program (combined scholarship and mentoring program) to support Ukrainian students and scientists of the University of Bonn as well as students and scientists of the University of Bonn who have been forced to flee due to the war in Ukraine or who are in need in Germany due to the war, also nationals of other nations.

Two types of scholarships will be awarded: scholarships for outstanding involvement and scholarships for teaching and research preparation.

Application deadline: April 24, 2023

Learn more

Support offers and information

DAAD: National Academic Contact Point Ukraine

On the website of DAAD’s National Academic Contact Point Ukraine you can find information about Germany and the German higher education and research system, in addition to an overview on different support options in academia. The website is also available in Ukrainian. offers a free psychosocial counseling service for young people up to 25 years of age via WhatsApp and SMS in Ukrainian and Russian. More than 200 qualified psychologists provide support in the form of immediate psychosocial assistance.

Handbook Germany: Ukraine

Handbook Germany has opened a special webpage with important information on entry, residence and life in Germany for people fleeing from Ukraine and Ukrainians in Germany. The page is available in Ukrainian, Russian, English and German.


Ukrainian students and scientists can find job and scholarship opportunities from universities worldwide on the website #ScienceForUkraine. The website is a successful initiative of volunteer students and research scientists from academic institutions in Europe and around the world.







Weitere Angebote


Ukrainische Studierende und Wissenschaftler*innen finden auf der Webseite „#ScienceForUkraine“ Stellen- und Stipendienangebote von Hochschulen weltweit. Die Plattform ist eine Initiative von Freiwilligen aus akademischen Einrichtungen in Europa und der ganzen Welt.

Handbook Germany: Ukraine

Handbook Germany hat eine Sonderseite mit wichtigen Informationen zu Einreise, Aufenthalt und Leben in Deutschland für Menschen auf der Flucht aus der Ukraine und Ukrainer in Deutschland eingerichtet. Die Seite ist auf Ukrainisch, Russisch, Englisch und Deutsch verfügbar.

Seminar „MitSprache“

„MitSprache“ ist ein Seminar, das Studierende mit neuzugewanderten jungen Menschen zusammenbringt, die sich für ein Studium oder eine Ausbildung in Deutschland interessieren. Die nächsten Seminartermine werden im Mai und Juni 2022 angeboten. Die Anmeldung ist bis zum 28. April 2022 möglich.


Prospective students

The Central Study Advisory and Counseling Service provides support for prospective international students in terms of academic orientation and fundamental questions related to applying for a degree program.


Poppeldorfer Allee 49, 2. Etage
53115 Bonn (Germany)

Application, admission and enrollment

The Student Registry can advise prospective international students on applications, admission and enrollment at the University of Bonn.


Poppeldorfer Allee 49, 1. Etage
53115 Bonn (Germany)


The International Office provides counseling and support for international (doctoral) students for any organizational questions they face related to their studies and stay in Bonn.


Poppelsdorfer Allee 53
53115 Bonn (Germany)

International Service Point

Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 08:00 am - 04:00 pm

Wird geladen