Pre-Departure Information

On the following page you will find information on visa procedures, descriptions of how to get to Bonn and information on other important formalities that you will have to take care of during the first couple of days after your arrival.

Visa Regulations

Attention: Please note that due to the current situation regarding the corona virus pandemic, the visa application process might be different. Please inform yourself at the appropriate German embassy or consulate in your home country.


EU citizens and citizens from the following countries do not need a visa to enter Germany:

Australia, Canada, Honduras, Iceland, Israel, Japan, Korea, Liechtenstein, Monaco, New Zealand, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland and the United States.

Students from all other countries must apply for a visa for study purposes via the German diplomatic representation in their home country. You must not under any circumstances travel to Germany on a tourist visa. For further information on requirements for entering Germany, check the websites of the German embassy or consulate in your home country. You can find a list of German missions abroad here.
However, after entering Germany, you will have to apply for a residence permit at the local "Ausländerbehörde" (Immigration Office) if you are staying for more than three months. If you have already obtained a valid residence permit for the whole duration of your stay before entering Germany, you do not need to register with the Immigration Office.
For further information on visa and residence permits, see the DAAD-leaflet Information on Legal Requirements for the Entry and Residence of Foreign Students, Academics and Scientists.

Health Insurance

Students must have proof of sufficient insurance coverage upon arrival in Bonn. Enrollment at the university is only possible with a valid health insurance certificate.

Junior Year Program Students (JYP)

  • Health insurance is already included in your program fee. On Arrival Day, you will find a representative of one of the local public health insurance companies who will provide you with more information.

Exchange Students

  • You are responsible for organizing your health insurance coverage in Germany. We recommend that you acquire health insurance immediately after your arrival in Bonn. The fee is approximately 95 euros per month. A representative of one of the local public health insurance companies (Techniker Krankenkasse) will be present on Arrival Day to answer your questions. For more information, please see your Student Handbook.



Students in the Junior Year Program will be housed in one of the dormitories. Students in the exchange program can also choose this option.
You will receive an email with the address of your dorm and further information a few weeks before your arrival.
All student dorms are located in different areas of the city and are easily accessible either by foot or by public transportation.
All rooms are single rooms. Some are equipped with a kitchenette and a private bathroom while others have shared facilities.


Here you can find more information about the dorms.



Junior Year Program Students (JYP)

You will sign the lease for your dorm room on Arrival Day. We will handle the rent payment for you. There is no security deposit for your room, but please note that we will withhold your transcript until the dorm manager confirms that your room has been left in good order and no costs have been incurred.


Exchange Students

  • You have to sign your lease at the Studierendenwerk Bonn: Nassestraße 11, (2nd floor). When signing your contract, you will have to the first month’s rent, a security deposit of two months’ rent and your Dorm Basic Set and your room cleaning if ordered, either in cash or by credit card.

  • The subsequent monthly payments can be deducted from your bank account, so you will need to open a German bank account (see page 15 in your Student Handbook) as soon as possible. You will have to allow the Studierendenwerk to deduct your rent directly from your account. If the dorm manager confirms that you have left your room in good order and no costs have been incurred, your security deposit will be returned to you within 4 to 6 weeks after your departure in the form of a check to your home address.



The International Office will take care of enrolling you at the university. We will ask you to sign the enrollment form on Arrival Day. We also need evidence of your health insurance coverage to enroll you.


Junior Year Program Students (JYP)

Sign the form "Antrag auf Einschreibung" on Arrival Day. As soon as you have been enrolled, your student ID will be sent to your dorm address.


Exchange Students

Sign the form "Antrag auf Einschreibung" on Arrival Day. You need to present proof of a valid health insurance in the form of a certificate. You will receive a request to pay the "Sozialbeitrag", a social contribution of currently approximately 290 euros, which all students enrolled at the University of Bonn have to pay. This is not a tuition fee!


Arrival Day

Please arrange your travel plans so that you arrive in Bonn on the official Arrival Day. Dorm rooms will not be available prior to that day. The tutors in the dorms are also only available for helping newly arrived students with moving into their dorm rooms on that day. 

Please come directly to the International Club at Poppelsdorfer Allee 53. On Arrival Day we will be there from 9 am till 5 pm.


Directions to the International Office 

It is a 10-minute walk from the main train station (Hauptbahnhof) to the International Office. This might be handy when looking fo the way:

You can also follow this description

At the main train station take the exit toward "Quantiusstraße" and turn left. Turn right onto Poppelsdorfer Allee, which is an alley with a lawn in the center and pedestrian walks, bikeways and traffic lanes on each side. Walk down Poppelsdorfer Allee for approximately 400 meters (440 yards) until you arrive at Poppelsdorfer Allee 53, which is on your left side.

Once you arrive at the building of the International Office at Poppelsdorfer Allee 53, please follow the pictures and descriptions below:

Pop 53.jpg

You will see the building from the alley like this.


When you are in front of the building, walk onto the street called "Argelanderstraße" on the left side of the building. No need to walk up the stairs!

Club Eingang.jpg

After a few steps you will see the entrance on your right.

Arriving early

Should you, nevertheless, decide to arrive before the given arrival date, you may want to stay at a youth hostel or at one of the hotels in Bonn. Make sure to book in advance since hotels and youth hostels are sometimes fully booked due to conferences or other events in the area.

Jugendgästehaus Venusberg (Youth Hostel)

Haager Weg 42

53127 Bonn

Tel.: +49-228-28997-0 and +49-228-28997-14
[Email protection active, please enable JavaScript.]
For information and addresses of hotels you can contact the Tourist Information:

Tourist Information

Windeckstr. 2 / am Münsterplatz

53111 Bonn

Tel.: +49-228-19433
Fax: +49-228-775077
[Email protection active, please enable JavaScript.]


Public Transportation

Students enrolled at the University of Bonn can use the public transportation system in the Bonn/Cologne region for free. Your student ID serves as a "Semesterticket" for busses, subways and some trains (S-Bahn, Regionalexpress, Regionalbahn). You may also use other trains (D-Zug, InterRegio), but you have to pay a surcharge for them. Please note that participants of the Orientation Course will have a different ticket for the duration of the Orientation Course.

For more detailed information about which trains you can use, please ask the staff at the Deutsche Bahn. The following map shows the area in which you can use the public transportation system with your student ID:


Verbundraumkarte VRS 

Document Actions