You are here: Home Studying International Students Degree Programs

Degree Programs

Information on studying at the University of Bonn for international students

We appreciate your interest in studying at the University of Bonn (UoB). On the following pages, you can find information about study programs and the admission process. Please follow the internet links to find additional information.

Degree Programs and Courses:


If you have found your desired study program at the Bonn University, please send an application for admission for first cycle degree programs (Bachelor, State Examination, Teaching Profession) to the Student Secretariat or for Master/Ph.D. courses to the academic department in charge of the desired degree program - they check whether the necessary requirements are fulfilled. For detailed information see here Application & Admission - Please note: the International Office at the University of Bonn is not responsible for the application and admission process!


1. Bachelor | State exams | Theology degrees (First-cycle programs)

International students from non EU-countries have to submit their application for Bachelor- and State Examination Programs to the following postal address: University of Bonn, Studentensekretariat, 53012 Bonn (unless otherwise stated). Please direct your questions regarding the admission process to the Studentensekretariat (see contact persons for applicants with a foreign higher education entrance qualification).

The application deadline for bachelor and state examination programs with local selection is July 15th for the winter semester and January 15th for the summer semester. For other dates & deadlines see

EU citizens and applicants from the EEA countries (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) are treated on equal terms with German applicants. However, they need to pass a German language examination for university entrance (DSH, see below) before enrolling if no equivalent proofs of language competence exist.

Further information for applicants with a higher education entrance qualification (EU/EEC or non-EU) see here.


2. Master programs

Students interested in Master´s degree programs, find information regarding the application- and admission procedure at the academic department/institute (all courses of study A-Z).
The University of Bonn also offers International degree programs, that are geared to both German and international students. They are partially or fully taught in English and offer special counseling and support for international students.    

3. PhD studies

Are You interested in doctoral studies or a structured PhD program? Please find detailed information here: Pro-Motion.


Certificates and their Acceptance

Please note: Certificates you submit to the UoB for your application need to be in German, English or French, certificates in other languages must be translated by a certified translator. All certificates have to be officially certified by an embassy (either the German embassy in your home country or the consulate of your home country in Germany). A list of embassies is available here.

Is your school-leaving certificate / degree recognized in Germany?

If you are uncertain as to whether your degree certificate will be accepted for admission to the UoB, you can find additional information in the database "anabin" - an information portal (in German) for recognition of foreign degree certificates, which is also utilized  by German authorities and universities. An explanatory text in English - concerning the database on admission requirements - is available on the Homepage of the German Academic Exchange Service.


German Language Proficiency

For most of the degree program at the UoB advanced German language proficiency is required!

The required level of German proficiency needs to be documented upon enrolment. This can be done by participating in TestDaF in your home country. TestDaF with minimum result of TDN 4 in all four parts of the examination fulfils the language requirements. Alternatively you can attend the „Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang“ (DSH) at the University of Bonn.

If you are not yet proficiency enough in German to pass the language exam, preparatory courses are available at the University of Bonn. Further information is provided here.

If you intend to improve your German language proficiency while still in your home country, please visit the homepage of the Goethe-Institut.


Visa & entry regulation

The list of countries that require entry permit to Germany can be found on the website of the Federal Foreign Office (Auswärtiges Amt).

Once you have arrived in Bonn, you can address questions regarding your residence permit to the Ausländeramt der Stadt Bonn. Further Information see our site "Before Studying" or "Visa / Entry into the country" (DAAD).


Further information about the period:





Statistic - International students at Bonn University

A statistical overview on our International Students

Document Actions