Going abroad together

Studying abroad with a child

With good planning in advance, studying abroad with a child will be a great success. But how should I organize the trip and what financial support is available? Here you can find out everything you need to know about BAföG, scholarships, and more.

General information 

An increasing number of students are taking the decision to complete part of their degree outside Germany. Studying abroad is a great way to get to know a new culture and a different educational system, as well as to improve your own foreign language skills. However, students with family responsibilities often seem to wonder:

Is it possible to study abroad with a child?

Yes it is! There is no doubt that studying abroad with a child requires more organizational effort, but experience reports show that it is worth it. Good preparation ensures that the balancing act between studies and family can also be managed abroad.

We provide help and support in planning and realizing your plans. 

People holding hands – different national flags are painted on their hands
© Colourbox
Pens lying next to a notepad on which “Studying Abroad” is written.
© Colourbox

Going abroad – but how?

  • An Erasmus exchange

  • A period abroad through the Global Exchange Program

  • Institutional exchange program

  • Internship

  • Language course

  • A practical year within a medical degree

  • Self-organized study (free mover)


Those who receive only a low level of BAföG funding should still apply for international BAföG, as it pays more. Students not eligible for domestic BAföG may be eligible for international BAföG – it is worth applying! 

Both domestic and international BAföG pay a childcare supplement. This currently amounts to €150 per child per month. 

Further information is available in the International BAföG website (German only).

The Erasmus+ program pays a supplement to students with children. In addition to the usual country-dependent mobility grant, single parents and couples with children receive an extra €200 per month to facilitate participation in the Erasmus program (whether study or an internship).

Further information about the Erasmus program and the application process is available at the International Office.

A scholarship can help with the financing of study abroad. Whether you are able to apply for multiple scholarships depends on the terms of each scholarship.

Deutschlandstipendium scholarship

Every year in spring you can apply for the Deutschlandstipendium at the University of Bonn. The scholarship holders regularly receive a monthly sum of 300€ for the duration of one year - also abroad.

Further information about the Deutschlandstipendium scholarship and eligibility is provided here.

Other scholarships

Parental benefit

Although residence in Germany is a precondition for the payment of parental benefit, if you are able to demonstrate to the “Familienkasse” of the Employment Agency, that your presence in a country outside Germany is only temporary and serves training purposes, its payment could be continued. To this end, you need to contact the “Familienkasse” of the Employment Agency as early as possible.

Family allowance

Although residence in Germany is a precondition for the payment of family allowance, if you are able to demonstrate that you have not sublet your accommodation (i.e. it remains available to your family at all times) you may be able to remain in receipt of family allowance.

The University of Bonn provides funding for students with children who wish to study abroad.

Contact the Office of Family Services for further information. 

Find out well in advance what funding options are available locally. In some countries, for example, funding similar to the German housing allowance can be applied for.

Five steps to studying abroad

1 First steps

  • Find a convenient time within your studies
  • Do your own research on partner universities and countries
  • Read reports from people who have studied abroad with children

2 Obtain advice

3 Organize finance

  • Draw up an overview of the costs involved
  • Apply for funding various sources such as international BAföG or scholarships
  • Find out what other sources of funding are available (family, University of Bonn Foundation etc.)

4 Look for accommodation 

5 Organize childcare

Studying abroad with a child - guidelines for students

What should be considered when going abroad with a child? Which funding possibilities exist? The Office of Family Services's guidelines will make it easier for you to plan your time abroad. 

Information for University employees 

Where does the mobility of students with children stand? Why is it so important to create equal opportunities between them and students without families and what does the internationalization strategy of the University of Bonn have to do with it?
The guide "Studying abroad with a child" provides basic information for university employees. It might be of interest to the following people (excerpt):

  • The Erasmus Coordinator
  • Subject-specific study advisors 
  • Staff at the International Office
  • Staff at the Central Study Advisory and Counseling Service


Avatar Kunde

Lisa Kunde

Office of Family Services - Consultation studying abroad with a child | Office hours: Thursday and Friday, 9:00 am – 4:00 pm

+49 228 73-72 73

Avatar Schaefer

Olivia Schaefer

International Office - General consultation on studying abroad

+49 228 73-60613

Please also read

Studying abroad with a child

Detailed information is available on the website “Studying Abroad with a Child”.

Learn more (German only)1114149

International Office

The International Office provides information, advice and support to all those hoping to study abroad. 

Erasmus Program

Explore one of 33 countries through Erasmus! What are the advantages of the program?

Wird geladen