The University of Bonn - Open to all

International Doctoral Students at the University of Bonn

The University welcomes more than 1,500 doctoral students from around the world.
The University and the City of Bonn with its many international organizations provide an excellent research and living environment for international doctoral students.

We would be happy to assist you on your path to earning a doctoral degree. We can provide valuable information even before your arrival (e.g. for your visa) and our “Pro-Motion” project offers a broad range of support and networking services.

Planning and Preparing for Your Stay

This website provides information for prospective international doctoral students and an overview of the services and activities offered by the “Pro-Motion” project for international doctoral students who have already enrolled.

Eine Wissenschaftlerin und ein Wissenschaftler arbeiten hinter einer Glasfassade und mischen Chemikalien mit Großgeräten.
© Colourbox

German language proficiency

Information on the language requirements for earning a doctoral degree in German.

Eine Wissenschaftlerin und ein Wissenschaftler arbeiten hinter einer Glasfassade und mischen Chemikalien mit Großgeräten.
© Lannert / Uni Bonn

Your first steps in Bonn

Information and tips on living in Bonn and the formalities required for your first days in Bonn.

Eine Wissenschaftlerin und ein Wissenschaftler arbeiten hinter einer Glasfassade und mischen Chemikalien mit Großgeräten.
© Colourbox

During your doctoral program

Information on the services provided by the International Office for international doctoral students under the Pro-Motion project.

Important information for international doctoral students

As a rule, citizens of EU/EEA countries do not need a visa to travel to Germany and do not have to apply for a residence permit. Doctoral students from other countries generally require a visa to travel to Germany. Please explain the purpose of your stay in advance to your local German embassy (e.g. length of stay, financial support and employment during your doctoral studies, etc.), as the type of visa depends on this information.

Germany has entered into agreements5 with some countries, such asfor example Australia, South Korea, Israel, Japan, the US and Canada, that allow citizens of those countries to enter without a visa and obtain the residence permit they need in Germany after their arrival. The following pages provide information on current entry requirements, visa formalities and related proof of financial support:


Please note that it often takes several months to obtain a visa. You should therefore contact the German embassy in your home country well in advance to obtain information on entry requirements and visa formalities.

Under no circumstances should you enter the country as a tourist under a Schengen visa, as it cannot be converted to another visa or a residence permit for education and training purposes.

    You should obtain information on insurance before arriving in Germany, especially health insurance, as it is impossible to enroll at the University without such insurance or obtain an exemption to the insurance requirement in Germany:

    Citizens of third countries (outside the EU) should obtain information on funding opportunities in advance, as proof of financial support is required when applying for a visa or residence permit. Common types of funding include scholarships, work contracts and jobs for doctoral students at the University of Bonn.

    The Bonn Graduate Center offers support in finding the right doctoral scholarship.

    More information on obtaining funding for your studies or research stay is available on these webpages:

    We recommend that you make an early start on finding accommodation in Bonn and its surroundings. If you are planning to enroll in a doctoral program at the University of Bonn, please note that as a doctoral student you can also apply with the Studierendenwerk Bonn for a dormitory room. The following page provids detailed information on finding accommodation in Bonn:

    If your family is coming with you to Bonn, information on support services, childcare facilities and schools is available from the Office of Family Services at the University of Bonn.

    Conact in advance your department at the University of Bonn. Clarify the date/length of your research stay or start of your doctoral studies. Obtain information on the admission and enrollment process and language certificate.


    Avatar Papel

    Sandra Papel

    International Doctoral Students


    Poppelsdorfer Allee 102

    53115 Bonn (Germany)

    Office Hours

    • by appointment
    Wird geladen