You are here: Home Studying International Students Degree Programs After Graduation

After Graduation


www_cms_afterstudies_1.jpg       www_cms_afterstudies_2.jpg     www_cms_afterstudies_3.jpg


After Graduation


If you wish to end your studies, or you have graduated, you can deregister in two ways:

·       Submit an application to be removed from the student register

·       Forego re-registration for the upcoming semester

You can find more information on "Exmatrikulation" (Deregistration) on the homepage of the Studentensekretariat (in German).


As it is required by law that you register with the city's Registration Office ("Bürgeramt") within two weeks following your move-in date, or re-register if you move residences, you must also de-register if you permanently leave the country.

Re-registering is required when: 
  • Changing your residence within the same town.
    You must update your registration with your new address. (Please Note: Addresses from hotels, hostels etc. are not accepted. Only addresses where you can receive mail and be reached personally will be accepted by the Registration Office.)
  • You move to another city in Germany. After your registration in the new city, your old address will automatically be cancelled.
  • Only required when you leave Germany and move to another country, or you do not have a permanent place of residence.
  • Please Note: The deadline for deregistration is from one week before your move abroad until two weeks after your move (without a permanent address).
If you stay in Germany for less than 3 months, you do not have to register or de-register!
If you want to re-register or deregister in the city of Bonn, you must provide a “Wohnungsgeberbestätigung”. This is a confirmation from your landlord or landlady, stating that you live/have lived at his/her property.
The landlord or the landlady is obligated to cooperate! When you move in or out of one of the student dormitories from the “Studierendenwerk Bonn”, the property manager will fill in the “Wohnungsgeberbestätigung”.
Annotation: For landlords/landladies it is illegal to provide an address, if the property is not rented out, or is not going to be rented out, to the designated person. Otherwise, the landlord/landlady can be penalized with a fine of up to 50.000 €. If a landlord/landlady refrains from filling in the form, provides false data,  or provides the data too late, the landlord/lady may be penalized with a fine of up to 1.000 €.
For families, it is sufficient if one of the adult family members attends the appointment at the Registration Office in order to represent all family members that are required to register. The designated family member must be able to give all of the other family members’ information that are required to register. This especially concerns their other apartments, and their side/main current address of residence.

A de-registration is possible with an online form (see Abmeldung [Onlineformular]) or direct - online
Or if you would like to de-register in Bonn personally, go to:
Bürgeramt Bonn
Berliner Platz 2 
53111 Bonn
Phone: +49 (0) 2 28) 77 66 77
Office hours: Mo. and Thu. 8 a.m. - 6 pm  
Tue., We. and Fr.: 8 a.m. -  1 p.m.  
Flyer: Citizens Service Center
An appointment is required for personal deregistering. You can find the link to request an appointment online (see "Terminreservierung"), and the documents that will be required for deregistration here.
In order to deregister you need the following documents:
  • An "Abmeldung" (deregistration form)
  • Passport or I.D. Card
  • Address of your current residence in Bonn
  • Your "Wohnungsgeberbescheinigung"


Equally Important: Closing your bank account / Ending insurance policies - you should close your bank account / end health insurance contracts  etc. a few days before departing Germany to avoid unnecessary charges or fees!


Permission to Work, Residence Permits, and the Recognition of Diplomas in Germany

You have a university degree and want to work in Germany? On the next pages you will find important information regarding working, living, and the recognition of diplomas in Germany.

1.   Alumni from EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland

Permission to Work and Residence Permits

There are no restrictions for the citizens of the above mentioned countries on the German labor market. No visa or residence permit is needed. Only a valid Passport is required upon your arrival.

Exception: Alumni from Switzerland must apply for Special Residence Permission (§ 28 AufenthV).

If you have questions about the process of getting permission to work, please contact  the Headquarters for International Migration and Development ( Zentrale Auslands-und Fachvermittlung, Phone: 0049 (0)228-71301313, e-mail: make-it-in-germany(at)

2. Alumni from Non-EU Countries


Important information for the international Alumni of German Universities

Immigration Office of the city of Bonn: New regulation for appointments



This applies under normal conditions:

Would you like to find a job in Germany that matches your academic qualifications? You can get permission at the Foreigner's Office.

If you can't find a job after your graduation, you can apply for an extension to your residence permit for up to 18 months (§ 16.4 AufenthG) in order to find a job during this time. 

Residence and Working Permit

As an academic with a degree from a German university, or a recognized foreign university degree, you can apply for the „Blue Card EU“ residence permit. The requirements for this permit are that you must work in Germany, and hold a job that matches your qualifications, and have an annual gross income of at least 50.800 Euro (39.624 Euros for occupations with worker shortages)


2.1 Blue card EU: for further information see -


3.    Recognition of Degrees

Please Note: In Germany, your degree must be officially verified in order to be recognized. You can see the details of the respective bureau which you must contact to get your degree recognized here.

The degree-recognition procedure can be started before entering Germany, and the process is independent of your nationality and your residence permit.


Especially when you have a regulated profession in Germany, you must receive governmental admission, and an affirmation that you are indeed sufficiently qualified for your occupation. Jobs in the health sector and in the education sector ( i.e. doctor, nurse, child care worker) are examples of a few jobs that are regulated in Germany. Moreover, there are special regulations concerning independent professions, for example Bakers and Hair Dressers.

For non-regulated jobs, (i.e. industrial business, mechanic or electric worker) you do not need any formal recognition of your degree, and you are able to apply without verification of your qualifications. Nevertheless, before applying for jobs in the labor market we recommend that you have your degree reviewed and translated in Germany. This will make it easier for your potential employers to access your qualifications.


3.1. The Application Process

If you want to fill out an application for degree recognition, you must contact the bureau that represents your profession. You can find further information at: or per phone 0049 30 1815 1111.

The first step to the process is to contact your profession’s bureau, who will help you to decide which concrete German professional degree is equal to your foreign degree. 

3.2. Support and Addresses

Other than the information on the homepage, the 'IQ Network NRW' offers advice and support in the pre-application period:

Sebastian Atmer
LerNet Bonn / Rhein Sieg e.V.
Rathausstraße 3
53225 Bonn
Phone: 0049 (0) 228 97 63 89 83 und Email: [Email protection active, please enable JavaScript.] //

 4.    Important Information for International Alumni of German Universities

Normally, you will receive a residence and work permit if you find work in Germany that matches your studies. You can apply for both permits at the Foreigner's Authority.

If you cannot find a job after graduation, you may apply for an 18 month extension to your residence permit. During this time, you are free to find any job to provide for your living costs.


5.    Special Offers from the University of Bonn for Students in their Final Semesters of Studying, and for Alumni

Further education programs to help your career start are offered by the Career Center of the University Bonn Targeted towards the Alumni of the University of Bonn, these programs help you with the job-finding process, from filling out application forms, all the way to tips for job interviews.

  • The Career Center of the University of Bonn, in cooperation with the German Federal Employment Agency, offers a detailed job-application check for students and Alumni here (in German).

The project „Berufseinstieg für internationale Studierende“ (Starting a Career for International Students) prepares international students and alumni who want to work in Germany for the start of their career, and helps them with the application process.


If you are planning to do your Promotion at the University of Bonn, you can find detailed information here



6.    Important Web-sites concerning the topic career entry:


Document Actions