You are here: Home Studying International Students Counseling and service Accommodation


  • Accommodation for the First Days

Upon arrival in Bonn and as long as you do not have a permanent place to stay, you can opt for a hotel or the youth hostel, a cheaper alternative:

 NEW - Sofa Frei (vacant couch):  an initiative by students for students, they provide newcomers in Bonn a temporary solution during the house hunting - with a couch, a place for your inflatable mattress or a guest room for one or some nights. Internet:

Youth Hostel: Jugendgästehaus Venusberg, Haager Weg 42, 53127 Bonn, Phone: +49-(0)228- 93494955, e-mail:, Internet:

Base Camp: In der Raste 1, 53129 Bonn, Phone: +49 (0)228 2866 9878, e-mail:, Internet:

Max Hostel: Maxstraße 7, 53111 Bonn, Phone: +49 (0)228 - 823 45 78 0, e-mail:, Internet: 

Weihers-Eck: Maxstr. 31, 53111 Bonn, Phone: +49 (0)228-4100458, e-mail:, Facebook:


  • Accomodation during the semester

It can be difficult to find affordable accommodation in Bonn, especially for international students arriving at the beginning of a new semester when many newcomers are looking for a place to stay. However, the Studierendenwerk has more than 1,000 rooms available for international students. You can apply directly to the Studentenwerk. The Studentenwerk has 35 student dorms to house 3800 students of the University of Bonn and the Hochschule (Fachhochschule) Rhein-Sieg. An additional 500 inexpensive rooms or apartments are offered by various other student dorms, of which some are private and others are run by religious institutions. 
There is also the private housing market. Offers for apartments or rooms can be found on the university's bulletin boards, in local newspapers or on the notice-boards in the University.

General information from the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) about living in dormitories, apartment-sharing community and in their own home can you find here.

For rental agreements in the private housing market - you find general advices and important instructions regarding contracts here "All you need to know before signing a rental agreement on private market" - see external link Just Landed. You find there also a glossary about the most used abbreviations in flat advertisements!


1. Student dormitories run by the Studierendenwerk Bonn 

All students with an admission at the University of Bonn (as well as those planning to enrol in the forthcoming semester) can apply for accommodation in one of the Studierendenwerk dormitories. This gives newcomers the chance to find an affordable place to stay. You just need to fill out the application form provided by the Studierendenwerk. It is possible to file a general application for all of the dorms, but you can also give a ranking of your preference among the dorms. 
At present, students are generally allowed to stay in the dorms for a maximum of six-eight semesters. For further information on the individual dorms and on the application procedure, contact the Student Services Agency:

Studierendenwerk Bonn AÖR
Department for Student Accommodation (Studentisches Wohnen)
53113 Bonn
Phone: +49-(0)228-737163
Office Hours: Mon., Tue., Thu. 9 a.m.-12 p.m., Thu. additionally 2 - 4 p.m.
Dormitories/Contact persons: (see also FAQ in en)

2. Accomodation service from the AStA Bonn - Allgemeiner Studierenden Ausschuss (General Student Committee) - with further links and hints:

Sozialreferat "Studentisches Wohnen"
Nassestr. 11
Tel.: +49 (0)228 73-5874 
Office Hours: Monday 10 a.m. - 11:30.

(en -

In case of urgency, you can contact the foreigners department of the AStA, Phone : (+49) 0228 73-7040 / e-mail:, Homepage: orür_internationale_Studierende .



"Zimmer frei!" Housing for Students and Academics - this webpage is a joint campaign by the Universities of Bonn and Rhein-Sieg, the city of Bonn, the Rhine-Sieg district, and a number of partner institutions for the creation of student accommodation.

 Bonn city district comparison - for shared Flats / apartments (sorted by rent, district, size, availability...)


3. Private rooms or flats

Here you can find miscellaneous accommodation facilities, e.g. independent student flat, shared flat (so-called "Wohngemeinschaft" = WG, a cheap alternative with sharing all the cost with several other students for a temporal perspective) or accommodations for a limited-/intermediate duration (normally furnished) - see links below.
Or after arrival: if you want to share an apartment or rent a private apartment or flat together with fellow students, check out the local newspapers, the General-Anzeiger and the Bonner Rundschau or the city magazine Schnüss, might also be a good source, especially for rooms in shared flats.
Noteworthy is, that You have to pay a security deposit of (usually) 2 months rent!  If you can´t/want pay the sum immediately, a bank guarantee is sufficient in some cases (please contact your bank), or You can contact a security deposit brokers. Please notice: some middleman agencies take a charge!

Shared apartment

Search databases

Intermediaries / brokerage - temporary living 

 Home Company Bonn, Meckenheimer Allee 87, 53115 Bonn, Phone.: +49 (0)228 19445,  /

♦ Zeitwohnagentur Bonn, Lindenstraße 77, 50674 Köln, Phone: 0228/18 47 33 03;  /

♦ Mitwohn-Zentrale im Rheinland, Ermekeilstrasse 46, 53113 Bonn, Phone: 0228/659195,


4. Privat/commercial student residence halls

Religiously oriented student residences


Document Actions