You are here: Home Studying International Students Degree Programs

Degree Programs

Information on studying at the University of Bonn for International Students

We appreciate your interest in studying at the University of Bonn. On the following pages, you will find information about study programs and the admission process. Please visit the internet links to find additional information.


Degree Programs and Courses:

Application Procedure

If you have found your desired study program at the University of Bonn, please send an application for admission for undergraduate degrees (Bachelor, State Examination, Teaching Professions) to the Student Secretariat. For Master/Ph.D. courses, send your application to the academic department in charge of your desired degree program - they will check whether the necessary requirements are fulfilled. For detailed information see Application & Admission - Please note: the International Office at the University of Bonn is not responsible for the application and admission process!


1. Bachelor | State Exams | Theology Degrees (Undergraduate Programs)

International Students from Non EU-countries must submit their application for Bachelor- and State Examination Programs to the following postal address: University of Bonn, Studentensekretariat, 53012 Bonn (unless otherwise stated). Please direct your questions regarding the admission process to the "Studierendensekretariat" (Registrar´s office- see contact persons for applicants with a foreign higher education entrance qualification).

The application deadline for Bachelor and State Examination Programs with local selection is July 15th for the Winter Semester and January 15th for the Summer Semester. For other dates & deadlines see

EU citizens and applicants from the EEA countries (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) are treated the same as German applicants. However, these applicants must pass a German language examination to gain university entrance (DSH, see below) before enrolling, if no equivalent proof of language competence exists.

Further information for applicants with a higher education entrance qualification (EU/EEC or non-EU) see here.


2. Master´s Programs

Students interested in Master´s Degree Programs can find information regarding the application- and admission procedure at their desired academic department/institute (Faculties). The academic department/Master program manager is responsible for the application/admission process!
The University of Bonn also offers International Degree Programs, which are geared towards both German and international students. They are partially or fully taught in English, and offer specialized counseling and support for international students.    

3. PhD. Studies/Programs

Are you interested in doing your doctoral studies or joining a structured PhD. program at the University of Bonn?
If so, you can find detailed information here: Argelander Program for Early-Career Researchers, or for support for PhD students see "Pro-Motion".


Validation of Non-German Certificates and Degrees

Please Note: Certificates you submit to the UoB for your application need to be in German, English or French. Certificates in other languages must be translated by a certified translator. All certificates must be officially certified by an embassy (either the German embassy in your home country, or by the consulate of your home country in Germany). A list of embassies is available here.

Is your school-leaving certificate / academic degree recognized in Germany?

If you are uncertain whether your home degree or school-leaving certificate will be accepted for admission to the UoB, you can find further information regarding non-German degrees and certificates in the  database "anabin" This website is an information portal (in German), used for the recognition of foreign degree certificates. This portal is also utilized by German officials and universities. An explanatory text in English - concerning the database on admission requirements - is available on the homepage of the German Academic Exchange Service. 

If your university entrance qualification ("Hochschulzugangsberechtigung, HZB") is not recognized in Germany, you have to absolve a so called "Feststellungsprüfung" or you can visit a “Studienkolleg”, for further information see Recognition of your secondeary school-leaving certificate at

For general information regarding academic recognition see also Recognition in Germany/Academic/School Qualification (source: Federal Ministry of Education and Research). 

German Language Proficiency

For the majority of the degree programs offered at the UoB, advanced German language proficiency is required!

Upon enrollment, one must prove that they have reached the required German language proficiency level. This can be done by taking the TestDaF, with a minimum result of TDN 4 in all four parts of the examination, which fulfills the language requirements. Alternatively you may attend the „Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang“ (DSH) at the University of Bonn.

If your German skills are not yet proficient enough to pass the language exam, preparatory courses are available at the University of Bonn. Further information to German language proficiency can be found here.

If you wish to improve your German language proficiency while still in your home country, please visit the homepage of the Goethe-Institut.


Visa & Entry Regulation

The list of countries that require an entry permit to enter Germany can be found on the website of the Federal Foreign Office (Auswärtiges Amt).

Once you have arrived in Bonn, you can address any questions regarding your residence permit to the Ausländeramt der Stadt Bonn. For further information, see our website "Before Studying" or "Visa " (DAAD).

Further information about studying:





Statistics - International students at Bonn University

A statistical overview of our International Students

Document Actions