Make Your Mark.

Checklist for Starting Your Studies

We’ve put together a small list of some of the most important things you can do to kick your studies off right. Please do not hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions.

Before starting your studies

Take advantage of available counseling services – for example, students of all disciplines can get help with general questions about studying at any time from the Central Study Advisory and Counseling Service (ZSB). For specific questions related to your discipline, please contact your subject-specific student advisory service or student council. Of course, these services also remain available to you further along in your studies.

Have you addressed the issue of study financing (BAföG, scholarships, etc.) and, if applicable, filed your BAföG application?

Have you applied for a room in a student dormitory or checked out the private housing market?

Have you taken a look to see which preliminary courses are being offered?

Starting your Studies

© Volker Lannert

Pay semester fee immediately upon online pre-enrollment

Upload  enrollment documents in the document upload by the deadline.

If you’ve applied for BAföG: Bring a confirmation of enrollment to the Agency for Educational Assistance (“Amt für Ausbildungsförderung”).

Activate Uni-ID (provided for download in the application portal) for IT services - e.g. for the personal university e-mail address, which must be checked regularly, as all study-related messages are sent to it.

Check when and where the orientation weeks with introductory events for your subject/subjects are taking place

Put your course schedule together using the central campus management system BASIS (among other things, also includes the electronic course catalog). If you have any questions, just contact your subject-specific student advisory and counseling service

Have you identified and located your lecture halls and classrooms?

Register with your examination authority

Apply for your library ID at the Bonn University and State Library (USL) and get your Mensa Card.

Take note of key semester dates

Are you unclear on a technical or specialized term related to your studies? It might be listed in the Youth University glossary!

Internationale Studierende

Apply for your residence permit at the Immigration Office of the City of Bonn (Important: schedule an appointment as early as possible!)

Take advantage of the International Office’s support offerings

Contact information

Avatar Study Advisory and Counseling Service

Central Study Advisory and Counseling Service

Wird geladen