Termin: 22.03.2017 Uhrzeit: 18:00 - 20:00 ( Mittwoch )
Wastewater - The Untapped Resource
Presentation of the United Nations World Water Development Report 2017
Each year on World Water Day, 22 March, the United Nations World Water Assessment Programme, hosted by UNESCO, publishes the World Water Development Report. For the first time, one of the launch events of this authoritative UN Report is hosted in Germany, in the German United Nations’ City Bonn, on World Water Day. Organizers are the University Bonn, the City of Bonn, the International Centre for Water Resources and Global Change and the German Commission for UNESCO, which is also the editor of the German translation of the Executive Summary of the UN Report.
The topic of this year’s World Water Development Report is Wastewater. Most human activities that use water produce wastewater. As the overall demand for water grows, the quantity of wastewater produced and its overall pollution load are continuously increasing worldwide. In all but the most highly developed countries, the vast majority of wastewater is released directly to the environment without adequate treatment, with detrimental impacts on human health, economic productivity, the quality of ambient freshwater resources, and ecosystems.
Although wastewater is a critical component of the water management cycle, water after it has been used is all too often seen as a burden to be disposed of or a nuisance to be ignored. Continued failure to address wastewater as a major social and environmental problem would compromise other efforts towards achieving the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
In the face of ever-growing demand, wastewater is gaining momentum as a reliable alternative source of water, shifting the paradigm of wastewater management from ‘treatment and disposal’ to ‘reuse, recycle and resource recovery’. In this sense, wastewater is no longer seen as a problem in need of a solution, rather it is part of the solution to challenges that societies are facing today.
- Prof. Dr. Michael Hoch, Rector of the University of Bonn
- Dr. Lutz Möller, Deputy Secretary-General of the German Commission for UNESCO
- Dr. Engin Koncagül, editor of the World Water Development Report
Panel Discussion with:
- Franz-Birger Marré, Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development
- Neven Subotic, Director of the Neven Subotic Foundation, Professional footballer of 1. FC Köln
- Representative of German Corporate Water Association (TBC)
Moderator: Dr. Marianela Fader, International Centre for Water Resources and Global Change
- Please register online: www.fiw.uni-bonn.de/wwdr17
- Afterwards, we would like to invite you to a reception.
- The event will take place in English.
|Zielgruppe:||Studenten, Professoren, Presse, Unternehmen, Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiter|
|Adresse:||Heussallee 18-24, 53113 Bonn|
|Veranstalter:||Forum Internationale Wissenschaft|