You are here: Home Studying International Students Erasmus After your Arrival Enrolment


Students in Library

In order to study at the University of Bonn, you need to enrol as a student.

The enrolment takes place during the Erasmus Welcome Week or with the enrolment office if you arrive later.


What do you need to enrol?

  • An enrolment form (which you receive during the Erasmus Welcome Week) 
  • Your ID/ passport
  • A health insurance certificate

How to get a health insurance certificate

  • If you take part in the Erasmus Welcome Week, you can get your Krankenversicherungsnachweis there. Please bring your European health insurance card or the AT11-form (Turkey).
  • If you arrive later, the confirmation can be issued by any German health insurance provider (for example AOK, DAK, Techniker Krankenkasse...). 

    Make sure to bring your European health insurance card. After seeing this, they will hand you a health insurance certificate. If you have a private health insurance that fulfills the German health insurance requirements, you will get a Befreiungsbescheinigung.

Please note: If your health insurance coverage does not fulfill German health insurance requirements, you will have to take out a policy from a public German health insurance provider (around 80€/month).

What do you receive after your enrolment?

  • A provisional student ID (with an integrated Semesterticket for public transport in the area of Bonn/Cologne - valid 1 month)
  • A bank transfer form which enables you to pay the social contribution (about 290€). Transfer the money as soon as possible. You can also pay in cash at the Postbank for a fee of a few Euros. Please state your matriculation number as the purpose of the transfer (Verwendungszweck).
  • About 14 days after your payment your regular student ID (including the semester ticket) will be sent directly to your address in Bonn by the enrolment office. 

If you do not have a residence in Bonn after your arrival, you will be able to put our address during the enrollment at the university. It is important, that you change it in BASIS as soon as you have an apartment or a room. You can find a step by step guide here.




If you are staying for two semesters, you will have to re-enrol for the second semester by transferring the social fee again, this is usually possible until February 28th. For more information check out this link
If you have transferred the social fee, but you have not received any mail, then you can check in BASIS whether the transferred money has reached the university or not. You can find a step-by-step guide here.


Sometimes, when you transfer the money in the last couple of days before the deadline, you might receive a warning mail. If this happens, then check in BASIS if there is any remaining amount of money that you have to pay. If that is not the case, then do not worry, sometimes the warning mails are send just before the transaction has reached the university.

Document Actions