You are here: Home Studying International Students Counseling and service Work during the study

Work during the study

  • Information for EU-citizens

If you are an EU citizen, you do not need a work permit, except the newly acceded countries. You can work to the same rules as German students: if you work for more than 19 hours per week or if your monthly income exceeds 450 Euro, you have to pay taxes and social security contributions, i.e. contributions to the German medical insurance and pension program that is also recognised in other EU countries. You need an income tax card (Lohnsteuerkarte) issued by the Residents' Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt). For up-to-date information on the German labour market, refer to the Employment Office's website: Those studying on a DAAD scholarship cannot work without the DAAD's consent.

  • Information for Non EU - citizens

Non EU -citizens, excluding the new accession countries, please note the following: you are allowed to work inbetween lecture periods (3 months, i.e. 120 days per year or half a day for 240 days per year). As this permit is already included in your visa, you do not need a special work permit. Citizens proceeding from the new accession countries need a work permit. This work permit can be applied at the Employment Office.You are allowed to work for up to 10 hours per week during the lecture periods providing you adhere to the following procedure:

  1. You need to have a written confirmation by one of your professors/lecturers that your future job is compatible with your studies.
  2. You have to show this certificate to the Aliens Authority (Ausländerbehörde). The official will put a stamp in your passport modifying the conditions of your stay permit accordingly.
  3. Next, you need to file an application for a work permit at the Aliens Authority, enclosing a personalised description of the job (i.e. your future employer needs to explain why he or she wants to employ you).

 According to a EU Directive it is possible to extend your residence permit for up to 18 months after the completion of your studies for the purpose of job-seeking.

For further information, contact Mr. Happ at the Employment Office Bonn (Tel: 776326), e-mail: [Email protection active, please enable JavaScript.].


  • Information for job-seeking

Beside the employment listings of local newspapers also check the noticeboards in University.

Here some more useful links:


Document Actions