Globally recognized top-level research and a history rich in tradition shape the image of the University of Bonn, which was founded in 1818 and is today a modern research university with an international impact.
Internationally focused research, studies and teaching has always been part of the University of Bonn’s self-concept. Due to its excellent international reputation, the University has an extensive international network, and cooperates with renowned partners around the world at every level – from research, studies and teaching to administration.
The University of Bonn is not only an extremely attractive place to do research and teach but also has a unique location advantage in Germany. The international Federal City of Bonn and the surrounding region house a large number of scientific institutions, research funding organizations, UN agencies and other institutions that operate internationally. The University of Bonn’s regional roots and networks offer a gateway to the world that strengthens the University’s international network in a sustainable manner.
Internationalization is a central element of the overall orientation and development plan at the University of Bonn. The goal is to maintain the current high level of internationality and to continue advancing the internationalization process.
2020 Internationalization Strategy
The 2020 Internationalization Strategy can be downloaded here. It defines five main objectives:
- The University of Bonn will further reinforce its global standing as a leading institution for research.
- The University of Bonn will further internationalize its studies and teaching at a structural as well as at a content level.
- The University of Bonn will establish strategic partnerships for research, studies and teaching.
- The University of Bonn will sustainably strengthen the framework conditions for internationalization, and will anchor its internationality both culturally and structurally in the University’s central and decentralized units.
- The University of Bonn will increasingly use its unique location advantage – Bonn is an international research city, a UN city and a sustainability hub – to benefit internationalization.