Phone and Internet

Telefon - Titelbild.jpg

If you rent an apartment in Bonn, you will usually need to arrange your phone and internet service yourself. It is often difficult to navigate your way through the large number of available providers and contracts. For your convenience, we have included some information about phone, internet, mobile phone and mobile internet services below. Information about WiFi service at the University of Bonn is also available below.

Phone and Internet Service

Most telecommunications companies offer a package consisting of landline telephone and internet (DSL) services. The most common providers known to us are Deutsche Telekom, o2, vodafone and 1&1. There are, of course, many more providers. When moving in, please ask whether you will have to activate your landline telephone connection.

Mobile Phone Service

As there are many options, the mobile phone rate you pick will need to fit your individual needs. There are two main ways to obtain mobile phone service - either by making a monthly payment for a particular contract period or by purchasing pre-paid service as needed. Individual rates vary widely.

Mobile phone contract

One possible option is a mobile phone contract. This, however, requires a German bank account and an identity document. In this way, service providers check whether a customer can really pay his bills. Caution: Do not sign a contract you do not understand. Instead, ask someone to help you with the translation. A mobile phone contract is usually valid for one to two years. Often it is not possible to cancel the contract before then. The bill must usually be paid at the end of the month during the contract period.

If you are planning to switch to another service provider once the contract expires, you need to cancel the contract in due time. This must be done at least three months before the end of the contract, otherwise the contract could automatically be renewed again for a period of one to two years.

Prepaid SIM card

Another option is to buy a prepaid SIM card. These cards are available for a small amount of money at most supermarkets, gas stations or kiosks. You only need to provide your address to have the card activated.

Once the prepaid SIM card has been activated, you need to add credit. The credit is used to pay for calls, SMS and internet surfing. If you need more credit, you can buy a top-up card. Top-up cards can be purchased at the same shops that sell SIM cards.

WiFi at the University of Bonn

You can access university WiFi in public areas on the university campus. All you need is an email address (Uni ID) at the University of Bonn. To use the university WiFi, you will need to configure your computer/device accordingly. Visit the website of the University Computer Center for instructions on the required configurations. Feel free to contact the IT Helpdesk if you need assistance.

If you are a guest at the University of Bonn, please ask your home university if it participates in the eduroam network. If so, you can access university WiFi even easier.

Simply contact the department or institute where you work to receive internet access for your office computer.


Document Actions