You are here: Home International Advice and Contact Welcome Center for International Researchers Life in Bonn Mobility and Transport

Mobility and Transport

Anreise - Titelbild.jpg

Travelling to Bonn

Bonn is located within easy reach from the airports Cologne/Bonn, Düsseldorf and Frankfurt. National and international train services, a good network of highways and a multitude of local transport connections make up for an ideal transport infrastructure.

By Train

The closest train service hub to the university is Bonn Central Station (Hbf). It is located in the heart of the city. Another train service hub close to the university is the ICE station Siegburg/Bonn on the other side of the Rhine river. From there, you can take the Subway 66 in direction of Bad Honnef (Travel time: 25 minutes to Bonn Central Station).

  • Timetables and Fares: Deutsche Bahn

By Airplane

The closest airport to Bonn is Cologne/Bonn Airport (CGN). Express bus SB 60 will get you to the city within 20 minutes (Terminal 2 / 8,20 €)

From Düsseldorf Airport (DUS) it is recommendable to take the direct train service to Bonn. Travel time is about 1 hour (RE 5 / 18,10 €).

From Frankfurt Aiport (FRA) you can take an ICE express train in direction of Cologne with stop in Siegburg/Bonn. From there, subway 66 gets you into the city. Overall travel time is about 1,5 hours.

Public Transport in Bonn

Bonn has a superb public transportation system complete with busses, streetcars and subways. Information on timetables and ticket prices can be obtained at the Verkehrsverbund Rhein-Sieg (VRS), the regional transport authority.

JobTicket at the University of Bonn

If you are an employee at the University of Bonn, you are eligible to obtain a JobTicket ("Großkundenticket"). It allows you to use all public transportation in the region as long and as often as you like at a reasonable monthly fare.

Further Information

You can take along one adult passenger, three children (aged between 6 and 14) or a bicycle on weekdays beginning at 7 pm and all day on weekends and holidays. Children under 6 years always travel free of charge.

  • You can order a job ticket at the university cash office. Contact person: Mr. Baudson (Phone: +49 (0)228 73-7315)
  • Order forms and further information are available through the University's Intranet system
  • You have to order the ticket until the 10th day of a month in order to use the ticket starting from the 1st day of the following month
  • Employees at the University Hospital can order their job ticket at the hospital service center.

Cycling in Bonn

It is not particularly practical to own a car in Bonn, not least due to a lack of free and available parking space. The easiest and most convenient method of transport when living in the city is a bicycle. It is also worth having one for weekend trips in the surrounding area, especially as bikes can be carried on the Rhine ferries for a very low fee. 

Further Information

Buying a second-hand bike, which can then be sold before departure from Germany, is worth considering. Look at the notice boards for advertisements or go to the bicycle market next to the university's main building (on the Hofgarten side, several times per semester).

Bicycles can be hired here:

Travelling in Germany

When travelling within Germany and to neighbouring countries, three transportation methods come into consideration: trains, cars and busses.

Train Service

The German railway company has an outstanding railway network and has many attractive offers.


Travelling by car (together with others) might be the most affordable way of travelling, yet it is not the fastest way.


The bus companies are reliable and offer cheap tickets, yet they can be rather slow.

Driving a Car

If you are interested in driving a car in Germany, there are a couple of things to be aware of. Bringing your own car to Germany should be carefully considered and well prepared. As an alternative to your own car, you may want to consider one of the various car sharing companies in Bonn. That way you remain flexible at very low costs.

Further Information

If you would like to be able to drive in Germany, you will need a driving permit. Driving licenses from EU/EEA Member States are unconditionally valid in Germany. You can also drive in Germany with an international driver's license. Driver's licenses from non-European countries (accompanied by an official German translation) become invalid six months after your arrival in Germany. If you plan on staying longer, you will have to apply for a German driving license. Depending on your home country, you may have to retake the driving exam (theoretical and/or practical sections).

You should apply to transfer your driver's license as soon as possible, and at the very latest three months before it becomes invalid.

Any questions you may have about driving a car with a foreign license or transferring your current license will be answered by the Civic Services Office in accordance with the conditions that pertain to citizens from your home country.

Bringing Your Own Car

You can bring your car duty-free to Germany as long as you have lived abroad for at least one year, have used your car for at least six months abroad, only plan to use your car for personal reasons and will later return with your car to your home country.

If you plan to stay less than a year in Germany, you will only need an international or foreign Motor Vehicle Admissions Certificate (Kraftfahrzeug-Zulassungsschein) (accompanied with an official German translation!). For longer stays, it will be necessary to register your car in Germany.

To register a car, please consult the Citizens Service Center.

Please bring the following documents:

  • Passport
  • Driving license
  • Confirmation of registration form ("Meldebestätigung")
  • Vehicle registration papers from your home country and your car's old license plates
  • Proof of insurance, the so-called "Insurance Coverage Card" (Deckungskarte der Versicherung) or "green insurance card" (Proof of insurance from your native country)
  • Certificate from the Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt stating that your car was never registered in Germany (Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt, 24932 Flensburg, Tel.: 0461/316-0)

In addition you will also have to:

  • Complete a TÜV examination: Technical examination of your car's roadworthiness
  • Complete an emissions test ("Abgassonderuntersuchung/AU")


Document Actions