You are here: Home International Advice and Contact Welcome Center for International Researchers Formalities Moving and Departure

Moving and Departure

Umzug - Titelbild.jpg

Moving within Bonn

If you move during your stay in Bonn, please take time to inform the following people of your change in address. Feel free to contact us if you would like assistance. Who should you contact if your address changes?

  • Citizens' Service Center ("Bürgeramt")
  • University of Bonn/Landesamt für Besoldung und Versorgung (LBV)
  • Scholarship donor
  • Bank
  • Health insurance provider
  • Other insurance providers (e.g. liability insurance)
  • Mobile phone service provider
  • Broadcasting fee service
  • Re-register for utilities (electricity) with the Stadtwerke

It would also be a good idea to have the Deutsche Post forward your mail to the new address using the Nachsendeservice.

Departure from Germany

Before your stay in Bonn ends, make sure to take care of a few formalities and especially to cancel your contracts in time:

  • De-register with the Citizens' Service Center ("Bürgeramt")
  • Close your bank account
  • Inform your health insurance
  • Cancel your rental contract for housing
  • Return your key (remember to document the occasion, including any damages)
  • Cancel your insurance policies (e.g. liability insurance)
  • Cancel your mobile phone contract
  • Cancel your telephone/internet service
  • Cancel your contract for electricity from the Stadtwerke, if necessary
  • Return your library card
  • Return your university key
  • Return your parking card
  • Return your Mensakarte (cafeteria card)
  • De-register for the broadcasting fee
  • Cancel your BahnCard or Job Ticket subscription, if necessary
  • Settle your taxes
  • Take care of your pension insurance

It would also be a good idea to have the Deutsche Post forward your mail to your home country address using the Nachsendeservice.

Document Actions