You are here: Home International Advice and Contact Welcome Center for International Researchers Formalities Driving License and Car

Driving Licence and Car

Auto - Titelbild.jpg

Licence Transfer

If you would like to drive a car during your stay in Germany, you will need a valid driving license. All EU or EEA driving licenses are valid in Germany for an unlimited time. International driving licenses are also accepted in Germany. Driving licenses (with a German translation) from non-European countries become invalid for Germany after half a year. You will then need to contact the Citizens' Service Center to request a German driving license. Depending on which country you are from, you may also have to take a written and/or practical driving exam. Since the conditions vary widely depending on your home country, contact us to find out whether you may use a driving license from abroad in Germany and if your license is transferable.

Car Registration

Depending on your personal situation, you may need to have your car registered in Germany. You will need to contact the Citizens' Service Center in Bonn to have your car registered.


The responsible authority both for transferring your license and for registering your car is the Citizens' Service Center ("Bürgeramt"). It will be necessary to make an appointment for both matters. This can be done online or by phone.

Citizens' Service Center 
Berliner Platz 2
D-53111 Bonn

Phone: +49 (0)228-776677


Document Actions