You are here: Home International Advice and Contact Welcome Center for International Researchers Formalities Documents and Translations

Documents and Translations

Dokumente - Titelbild.jpg


You will need to provide the following documentation in order to stay in Bonn. Please bring along the following documents from your home country:

  • A valid passport or ID card (valid for your entire stay in Germany)
  • If required, a visa
  • Passport photos for ID cards and documents (if required, biometric passport photos)
  • Written documentation in German or English of how you are funding your stay (scholarship, salary from your home country)
  • If required, proof of health insurance in German or English with a written confirmation of the monthly payments If your employment in Germany is subject to compulsory insurance, please provide: documentation of your current health insurance (e.g. European Health Insurance Card from your current provider)
  • Certified copies of your academic degrees in German or English translation
  • Birth certificate and certificate of marriage, in German or an English translation, if possible. Depending on the country, certificates will need to include an apostille or form of legalization.
  • Copies and certified translations of your childrens’ birth certificates (if required, including an apostille or form of legalisation)
  • A credit card and/or EC card
  • If required, an (international) immunisation record as well as documents on illnesses or medications
  • If you would like to drive a car while you are in Germany please bring along an international driving licence or valid driving licence from abroad.

Certified translations

Do you need a certified translation of your documents (certificate of marriage, birth certificate, examination/degree certificates, etc.)? You can use the search engines on two pages to find relevant translators and interpreters in Nordrhein-Westfalen and across Germany:

Document Actions