You are here: Home International Advice and Contact Welcome Center for International Researchers During your stay in Bonn

During your stay in Bonn


Bonn, the region and the University offer many opportunities to attend events, play sports, visit theatres and museums - and more. We offer information about leisure activities, German courses, events and much more in Bonn. We also provide practical tips for dealing with everyday issues. If you are staying for an extended period, you will be facing further organizational challenges. For example, if you move, you must inform the Citizens Service Office of your new address (‘Ummeldung’).

Everyday life in Bonn

German courses

If you want to use your time in Germany to improve your German skills, a language course can be very helpful. Both the university and numerous language schools in the city offer German courses at all levels. The language tandems of the language learning center or the online courses of Deutsche Welle and the German Adult Education Association - Volkshochschule/VHS - are also popular.

Medical care

Medical care in Bonn is very good. There are around 20 hospitals, specialist outpatient clinics and day clinics in Bonn, as well as the University Hospital Bonn with 32 clinics and 23 institutes. More than 2,800 doctors, who represent over 40 specialist areas in Bonn's hospitals and medical practices, care for the residents of Bonn and also large parts of the neighboring districts.

Family, child care and school

Are you accompanied by your family during your stay in Bonn? Maybe you are bringing your children as well? We want your relatives to feel comfortable in Bonn right from the beginning. The University of Bonn has its own family office, which is your first point of contact for all questions relating to family (e.g. school, kindergarten, parental allowance).


Public transport

Bonn and the region have a very well developed network of local public transport. Whether train, bus, tram, rental bike or e-scooter - everything is possible. You don't need a car for city traffic. And even better: As an employee of the University of Bonn, you can get a JobTicket if you want, which allows you to use local public transport at a discount.

Further information:


In many cases, the bicycle is the most suitable means of getting from A to B in Bonn. For longer stays, it is therefore worth buying or bringing your own bike. There are bike shops all over the city. You can also find used bicycles at local bicycle dealers or via eBay Kleinanzeigen. Other alternatives, especially for shorter stays, are rental and leasing bicycles.

Driving license and car

If you want to drive a car yourself during your stay in Germany, you need a valid driver's license. Driving licenses from EU or EEA countries are valid indefinitely in Germany. An international driver's license is also recognized in Germany. Driving licenses from non-European countries (with German translation) lose their validity after six months. You must then apply for a German driver's license from the driver's license office at the Citizens' Office in Bonn. Depending on the country of origin, you have to take another driving test (theoretical and / or practical). Whether you are allowed to drive a vehicle with a foreign driving license in Germany and under what conditions a transfer is possible must be clarified in each individual case based on the country of origin. You should apply for the transfer of the driver's license as early as possible, at least three months before the deadline.

Depending on your personal circumstances, it may be necessary to register your motor vehicle in Germany. To register, you must contact the motor vehicle registration office of the City of Bonn.

Moving within Bonn

If you change apartments within the city of Bonn during your stay, you should notify various authorities. The Welcome Center will be happy to assist you. If this applies to you, you should inform the following offices: Citizens service center - Bürgerbüro - at City Hall HR department State Office for Salaries and Pensions (LBV) If applicable: grant provider Bank Health insurance Other insurance providers (e.g. liability insurance) Mobile phone operator ARD ZDF Deutschlandradio contribution service (broadcasting fee) Energy providers It may be advisable to request a redirection service from Deutsche Post.

Liability insurance

We strongly recommend that you take out liability insurance that protects you from expensive payment obligations for damage you cause. There are many providers of liability insurance, the differences in premiums and benefits are sometimes enormous. You can get independent advice from the consumer advice center ("Verbraucherzentrale") in Bonn, for example.


Whether you have to pay taxes in Germany depends on whether you work here or are financed by a scholarship. The duration of your stay is also decisive. We have summarized the most important information for you in the following leaflets:

Campus life at the University


The University and State Library Bonn - ULB is accessible for employees as well as for international guest researchers. You will need a library card to use the facility. Employees submit their employment contract for this purpose, guest researchers or scholarship holders without an employment contract can obtain an ID for guest researchers (see above) in the Welcome Center, with which you will be able to receive a library card.


The various canteens - Mensa - of the Studierendenwerk Bonn take care of your physical well-being on site. For payment you need a canteen card - Mensa Card - which you can get for a deposit of 5.00 EUR in all canteens and at the info.point at the canteen Nassestraße. Employees present their employment contract for this purpose. Upon request, visiting scientists and scholarship holders without an employment contract can obtain an ID for visiting scientists in the Welcome Center, with which they can receive a canteen card.

IT support

The University Computing Center can help you with all IT issues at the University of Bonn. The IT help desk set up for this purpose is open from Monday to Friday, from 7.30 a.m. to 9.30 p.m.


During your research stay in Bonn you can of course also participate in the university sports program of the University of Bonn. The offer includes more than 150 sports at all levels. The university also has its own gym and other great sports facilities and grounds.

University of Bonn employees (with a work contract)

1) Visit the website and find out about the general conditions of participation
2) Book a semester ticket at:
3) Choose a sport course at:
4) Book the desired sports course on the respective page and select the status "Beschäftigte Uni Bonn"

Visiting researchers / scholarship holders (without a work contract)

1) Visit the website and find out about the general conditions of participation
2) Fill in the declaration of participation for external people, which you can find here:
3) Send an email to [Email protection active, please enable JavaScript.] with the subject "Visiting Researcher Card" and state your name and contact details. Please attach a scan of your Visiting Researcher Card and the declaration of participation for external students to the email. You can request a Visiting Researcher Card from the Welcome Center.
4) You will receive the participant card by post, which entitles you to book your desired sports course.
5) Choose a sports offfer at: 
6) Enrol in the desired sports activity on the respective page and select the "Inhaber Teilnehmerausweis" status.

Advice in cases of sexualized discrimination

The University of Bonn strives to enable all its members to work together on an equal, non-discriminatory, respectful and trusting basis. It advocates effective protection against sexual harassment, sexualized discrimination and violence. If you - for whatever reason - feel discriminated against, you can get in touch with one of the many contact points at the University of Bonn. Every case is taken seriously and all consultations are strictly confidential.


Document Actions