Doing Your Doctorate Abroad

A stay abroad during the doctoral studies can be a great enrichment for a research project. Many topics require an international perspective.

Binational Doctorate

The "Binationale Doctorate" or "Cotutelle de thèse" (double doctorate) is supervised by both a German and a foreign university within the framework of an individual cooperation agreement. Doctoral students thus gain experience in two higher education and research systems. In principle, these agreements can be entered with universities in all countries.

Planning and Funding

  • Discuss your plans with your dissertation supervisor in Bonn and get in touch with the respective contact person at the chosen university abroad.
  • Find out about any regulations that may be stipulated in your doctoral regulations.
  • Contact your doctoral office/dean's office.
  • An individual contract must be entered for your project. You can find a guideline and a sample contract on the website of the German Rectors' Conference1.

The German Academic Exchange Service promotes binationally supervised doctorates. Several short stays of up to two years are possible.

Learn more

The French Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MAE) developed the "Bourses d'Excellence Eiffel" in 2005 to support highly qualified doctoral students for 10 months at French higher education institutions in the framework of a "Cotutelle de thèse".

Learn more

Eine Wissenschaftlerin und ein Wissenschaftler arbeiten hinter einer Glasfassade und mischen Chemikalien mit Großgeräten.
© Valentin Antonucci von Pexels

Funding opportunities for stays abroad during the doctorate

Depending on the target region and subject area, there are different funding opportunities at the University of Bonn for stays abroad during the doctorate.

Funding opportunities

Erasmus+ offers doctoral students a wide range of funding opportunities for study4 and research stays5, short-term teaching6 and work shadowing for professional qualification7 in other European countries. Prerequisites are enrollment or employment status.  

Places are available for doctoral students at the University of Tsukuba in Japan.

Learn more

Among other things, the Bonn Graduate Center awards the Santander International Exchange Grants to support doctoral students in conducting international research stays of 1 to 3 months duration. Further, the Bonn Graduate Center awards scholarships for active participation in international conferences and scholarships to invite International Second Supervisors.

Some foundations and scholarship funds also provide scholarships for stays abroad.

An overview can be found on the pages of the Bonn Graduate Center.

Learn more9

The world's largest funding organization for the international exchange of students and scientists offers various scholarships for doctoral students.

Learn more

Certificate for Intercultural Competence

The Certificate of Intercultural Competence is an extracurricular offering of the University of Bonn that recognizes international experience, participation in language courses, and many other international activities with a certificate. The certificate can be completed in any number of semesters within the study period.


Avatar Schaefer

Olivia Schaefer



Poppelsdorfer Allee 53

53115 Bonn

+49 228 73-60613

Office hours

Please book an appointment via eCampus1211116

  • Tuesday
    10:00 a.m. - 12:30 a.m.

  • Thursday
    01:30 p.m. - 04.00 p.m.

  • and by arrangement
Wird geladen