You are here: Home Benefits for families Family benefits

Family benefits

Child benefit (Kindergeld)

Child benefit will be paid from the date of birth until the child turns 18. Under special conditions grants will be paid until the age of 25.

All parents living in Germany receive child benefit. Foreign parents receive child benefit if they hold a settlement permit (Niederlassungserlaubnis) or a residence permit which allows working in Germany for a longer time (Aufenthaltserlaubnis zum Zwecke der Erwerbstätigkeit).

The amount of child allowance depends upon the number of children:

Number of children

Amount of child benefit

1 child

 204 Euro

2 children

 408 Euro

3 children

 618 Euro

each additional child

 235 Euro


Parents working at the University of Bonn shall address their application for child benefit (Antrag auf Kindergeld) and the attachment together with the certificate of parentage to the Familienkasse of the Landesamt für Besoldung und Versorgung (LBV). Students may address their application for child benefit to the Familienkasse der Bundesagentur für Arbeit.

Parental allowance (Elterngeld and ElterngeldPlus)

Parental benefit constitutes a compensation for reduced income. Parents receive parental benefit if 
  • they take care of their child themselves and do not work for more than 30 hours per week,
  • they live together with their children in one household and
  • they are German residents.

Parental allowance will be paid for 12 months, at most for 14 months if the father also takes two months parental leave.  As parental allowance is often received during parental leave, parents should consider this when applying for parental leave.

Nationals of EU member states, and Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland are entitled to parental allowance in the same way as German nationals if they live or work in Germany. In the case of other foreign nationals, people with a permanent settlement permit are entitled to receive parental allowance. Those who have a residence permit are only entitled to parental allowance if they are also eligible to work in Germany or have already legally worked here. Please seek advice about the precise regulations. For more information please consult the website of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF).

Parental allowance can be applied for at the Amt für Kinder, Jugend und Familie der Stadt Bonn.  

Amount of parental allowance

The amount of parental allowance depends upon the last income. If the last income was between 1,000 and 1,200 Euro, the parental allowance covers 67% of the last income. The parental allowance will decrease from 67% to 65% for net income of more than 1,200 Euro.

Students, housewives and househusbands  receive the minimum amount of 300 Euro of parental allowance per month.

You may calculate the estimated amount of parental allowance using the parental allowance calculator. The calculator can be found on the website of the Bundesministeriums für Familie, Senioren, Frauen und Jugend (BMFSFJ).

Duration of parental benefit

Parental allowance will be paid for a maximum of 14 months, if both parents share the parental leave entitlement. In this case, one parent can claim a maximum of 12 and a minimum of 2 months' parental allowance. Single parents are entitled to take 14 months of parental allowance.

The new regulations with the ElterngeldPlus can be found here.

Short-term support for parents in the finishing or qualification phases of their (doctoral) degree program

The University of Bonn offers parents in the finishing phase of their bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral studies financial support for a limited period of time. The aim of this grant is to support parents in caring for their children and managing everyday responsibilities so that they can dedicate more time to their theses. 
maximum of EUR 400.00 per month can be disbursed from this fund for additional childcare (e.g. flexible childcare, au-pair help, babysitting) or domestic help. Resources from this fund are earmarked for the above-stated purposes.
The funding period is six months maximum
Please find all important information on how to apply and required proof of use here: 
Document Actions